Tick over and temp gauge.

andygbsmith

Tick over and temp gauge.

Post by andygbsmith »

Hi people,Yet another series of questions for the experts.The temp gauge on my Commander is playing games, sometimes reading but more often not.I have cleaned the connections at either end but no success, when you turn the ignition on the needle flicks so I assume it's got power, any ideas?While I'm on engine temp, the radiator although not leaking is in poor condition, I see Graham at Startright has a uprated rad on an exchange basis. Has anyone tryied one? Are there alternatives? I am sure that some of the japanese radiators could be made to fit.Spark plugs, The owners manual tells you to use the surface type but thats not whats in the bike.Whats best and how often do you change them? I understand that there was never a workshop manual done, so to avoid asking all the same questions over again can someone point me in the direction of information about these bikes.Last thing I sorted the high tickover out, Peter at Norton motors told me to bridge out the connector(Thymister!) and hay presto low tickover.So new switch needed.Peter told me to flush the cooling system through as a precaution so thats next.Anything else that I should check please let me know.Andy
Interpol2471

Re: Tick over and temp gauge.

Post by Interpol2471 »

you have a pm Very Happy
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Re: your spark plug query, NGK C8E (or if you're feeling flush, then the Iridium CR8EIX) seem normal Commander wear .... the ROC has them for £3 and £6.50 each, respectively. How often should they be changed? When they stop working I guess, but mine have been in for 5,000 miles so far and are still sparking ....CheersDC
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

Thanks for the Info. I will PM you.Andy
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Also, new info, missed on my PM if I remember correctly you can get a lower temp thermostat and fan switch to improve temperature control from Graham.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

I spoke to Graham today, top bloke full of lots of usefull info.The temp gauge has turned out to be the wire breaking down internaly through heat, so running a new wire sorted that one.Andy