Interpol 2 Brake Pads

Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Interpol 2 Brake Pads

Post by Derek Nicol »

I was just in the process of asking you guys if somebody could remind me what other bike/s use the same brake pads as the the Interpol 2 (or for part numbers) but i thought i would check through my workshop manual again to see if i had made any notes. I found the following handwritten list... EBC sintered FA18HH // Dunlopad DP600/DP701 // Ferodo FDB108/148 // SBS 506 // Vesrah VD907/913 // Delta DB7000 // Lockheed LMP106 // Kyoto 230008.Can anyone confirm if this list is correct?
Interpol2471

Re: Interpol 2 Brake Pads

Post by Interpol2471 »

EBC sintered FA18HH // Dunlopad DP600/DP701 // Ferodo FDB108/148 // SBS 506 // Vesrah VD907/913 are correct smiley I used these numbers to get replacement pads for my bike, NML do original Brembo pads and you can also get quality pads from your local BMW motorcycle dealer at a good price too. Bikes like the R100RS from the 80's (80-88) used the same set up. BMW also do every pin and spring still also at very good prices.Hope this helps.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
rotarian

Post by rotarian »

I have fitted two pair of the Brembo originals to the front, but they dont seem to have the "bite" that I think that should have.I need a new set on the rear,please post which make you have gone for, and how they work.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have EBC FA18HH on the front and original Brembo pads on the rear from NML. I have to say that for the set up I am very happy with the braking performance. I think I would like to change the hoses to braided lines though so if anyone has done that I would be interested too.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Thanks, it helps if you know what to ask for.Ah, so Norton Motors fitted Brembo pads? that must be whats in the front end of my bike now.The nearest BMW bike dealer is 25 miles away so i will probably end up with whatever the bike shop around the corner can get hold of.I take it that the Delta, Lockheed & Kyoto options are not well known or so readily available.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

You can get a pad GOLDFREN BRAKE PADS AD081 too from about £10 a set. I have been told they are pretty good but I have not tried them, they are carbon ceramic material. Armstrong also do a set but I cannot remember the part number. Remember that the Brembo set up was used on most of the BMW twins during the 80's R45, R65, R80, R100 so the pads are easy to find.Sorry Derek I just ignored the less known pads as I have no knowledge of those or availability.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Ive got the Goldfren pads, i will let you know if the bike still stops.Im puzzled though. The new Goldfrens are the same thickness as the used Brembos! (which an MOT centre told me were borderline failure). The Brembos have a vertical grove down the centre which is almost worn away (the Goldfrens dont have a grove). The Goldfrens are clearly a lump of friction material attached to a flat backing plate and as such i imagine they can be worn down almost to the backing plate before they need replacing. The construction of the Brembos is not so clear. What im wondering is... does the grove on the brembos indicate where the friction material ends and the steel begins? i.e. its not just a flat backing plate? or have i been advised wrongly and they really have loads of life left in them? Yours, confused of Bedford.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Derek,The groove in genuine Brembo pads is a wear indicator ; use them after the groove has disappeared at your peril.The combination of a badly worn disc and worn out pads leads to the possibility of the pad only being retained by the pins when the brake is applied (rather than the braking load being taken by the edge of the pad onto the caliper body).R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yep Hi Derek, Richard beat me to this one, they are indeed wear indicators and can be seen on most brake pads now. I wonder if you misunderstood the MOT tester and it is not the pads that are worn but the discs are near to the wear limits. Might be worth measuring the thickness of the rotors?Cheers Paul
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

OK, that explains that then. Thanks for bearing with me on this one, think we should re-name the technical interest section the stupid questions section Very Happy I will let you know how i get on with my Goldfren wafer thin 'No wear indicators' pads (havnt ridden it yet).