Boyer ignition

Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Boyer ignition

Post by Anthony Duffield »

While at the IoM my Boyer ignition failed fortunately I carry a spare Minmag. I suspect the Boyer will go in the bin but just in case has anyone had their Boyer ignition box repaired ?

Thanks
Tony
Richard Negus

Re: Boyer ignition

Post by Richard Negus »

The Boyer has all it's gubbins potted in a polyurethane compound, making access very difficult.
Paddy Ryan at Norton found a solvent for it and could see what was in there, but as far as I can remember, didn't manage to repair one.
Have you asked Boyer if they can repair them?
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Richard,

Thank you for your post, being encapsulated makes getting at the components within the Boyer difficult if not impossible. Its a shame as the Boyer is a good unit but as Boyer no longer make them the labour cost even if they were interested would probably be greater than a new Mini Mag.

If I get time before heading off to the NOC International Rally I will ask Boyer if they would be able or even interested to run a diagnostic, it might be interesting what they find.

FYI the Boyer failed just as I was warming the bike up getting ready for a run, having been running for about 5 mins it stopped, all attempts at getting it to start failed, fuses checked, side stand interlock shorted out all to no avail, my spare Mini Mag was all ready to fit so I temporally connected it and the engine started immediately.

If I get any feed back from Boyer I will let you know.

Many thanks
Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Going back a number of years(5or6?)Boyer were most obliging when I asked them to test their ignition fitted to my Classic,it was fine,but I fitted the MinMag anyway and kept the Boyer as a spare and carry it on the bike,but whether they are still as obliging I have no idea,J.B.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

My Boyer failed some years ago whilst in Spain. I contacted Boyer and they said they were not currently repairing the Boyer off the Norton Rotaries. However he said keep hold of it as if there was ever enough interest they might do repairs/replacements.
I has the MiniMag fitted and can't ever see me having the Boyer repaired as the MiniMag is better and if it ever failed i would get another as replacement!
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

David,

I agree, however I feel the Boyer gives a more even tick over, I have been told that the Boyer and Mini Mag use a different retard setting, that said the Mini Mag is good system.

All I have to do now is save up for a new one to carry as a spare.

Regards
Tony
Ian

Post by Ian »

Norton Motors, later ANIL, did a sophisticated digital ignition endorsed by Mr Nevis of this parish.

I've only heard good things about this system but it's pretty expensive.

Anybody got one they can tell us about? Mine still has the original Boyer, working well but I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

Should I get a Minmag or save for a digital one? Is the digital one better in use?

Guidance appreciated!

Ian.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ian wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:57 pm Norton Motors, later ANIL, did a sophisticated digital ignition endorsed by Mr Negus of this parish.

I've only heard good things about this system but it's pretty expensive.

Anybody got one they can tell us about? Mine still has the original Boyer, working well but I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

Should I get a Minmag or save for a digital one? Is the digital one better in use?

Guidance appreciated!

Ian.
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Mine is still running on its Sparkrite system!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I've had the MiniMag on my Classic for about 12years?30?40,000 miles?I will check my record tomorrow and give the exact figures,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Ok.going back to when I first registered the Classic in 1999.
The original Ign:box lasted till '06 and 17,500 miles,
I then fitted a "Potronic"? box(MiniMag trade name?)purchased from Graham.This lasted another 12and a half thousand miles
I then I assume it was giving me grief 'cos it went off to Julian(MiniMag)for testing and came back with a clean bill of health(The problem turned out to be the VCR.)
While this was going on I got hold of a used Boyer Box,sent it off to Boyer for testing,this also came back with a clean bill of health so was carried on the bike as a spare wink,most fortuas as it happens,'cos I was at Cadwell Park doing a Track Day when Ign Box failure occured(this was in '08 and 39thousand+miles on the clock)the failed box was sent off to Julian for testing,and diagnosed as "Failing through overheating".so a new one was purchased and fitted and the Boyer went back under the seat as "Back up" wink.
By this time I had fitted three VCR's and three Ign;Boxes evil in 40,000 miles exclaim,pondering at length led me to the conclusion that the VCS's were overheating 'cos they were in the wrong place and not getting enough air flow to keep them cool,(and in doing so were cooking the Ign'box's) due to the fact that(on Classic's,don't know about IP2's) they were located "back to back" with just a metal plate between them.
Relocating the VCR out in the open and well away from the Ign;Box seems to have stopped the cooking of both items Very Happy .So in my humble opinion MiniMag are the way to go cool.
Speedo reading at time of going to press,69,160,ride safe,J.B.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi Tony
I thought you might find this interesting regarding tickover!

> Comment: Hello Julian.
> Some feedback for you. I took my Classic to Richard Negus as i was
> using his test Boyer until i had time to fit the recently purchased
> TT1. We removed the Boyer and cut off the old connectors and fitted
> the new crimps, it would be a good idea to supply a few more than
> needed as we succeded in attaching a couple to the wrong unused wires
> on the old Interpol wiring Doh! Once we had installed the TT1 it fired
> up and we ran it until it was warm and the revs reduced on retard. It
> ticked over about the same as it had with the Boyer. Richard then
> changed the standard chip (45? retard) with one you had supplied him
> with 51 degrees of retard, the tickover was noticably smoother without
> the 'hunting'. On riding home the pickup seemed good when pulling away
> from junctions from tickover. I would certainly recommend the 51
> degree chip although mine is a freshly built engine, not sure if this
> makes any difference. I thought the original systems were 50 degrees retard was it Boyer who changed to 45?
>
> Regards
>
> David
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dave,is your new TTI the MiniMag option?if so how involved is it changing the "Chip"?
You say your Classic "Hunted" on tick over? mine never did,on either the Boyer or the MinMag system(or even on the original one fitted by Norton)always lovely and smooth,as was the pickup from idle. But the water cooled Commander is a totally differant beast evil,no way can I get not to "Hunt"on tick over(900rpm),and it "hunts" up to about 1800 rpm if accelerating slowly,(it also "hunts" on a "trailing throttle", which is an absolute pain in traffic)so perhaps a "Chip Change" will sort it out Very Happy,J.B.
Ian

Post by Ian »

All excellent stuff chaps, and the usual stimulating discussion. However...

No comments about the AN digital ignition. I understand it can still be supplied by ANIL but they in turn order in the components. They don't stock it.

Is it worth buying as a way of improving the Commander? Is the difference negligible?. Anybody on here got one or ridden one so equipped? Worth the money over a Minimag?

All comments welcomed!

Ian.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hello JB sorry for the delay in replying, holidays etc. As i recall it's fairly easy to change the chip, carefully open the black box and replace. Obtaining a new chip from Julian first of course.
Regards
Dave Rodgers
trevair

Post by trevair »

hi
i have just bought a mini mag on ebay new with new fitting crimpers as company never used with new connectors are the wires the same colours i know the connectors are different if not has anybody got wiring diagram
also i have seen these need new chip in them if so where do i buy one
regards trev
trevair

Post by trevair »

for my commander
trev
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Mini Mag wiring diagram: