Rad:cooling

johnbirchjar

Rad:cooling

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,sorry It's me again red face,I am having all sorts of problems with the engine cooling evil.
I have divided opinions from my biker buddies as to whether the fans(I have now decided that two are required)should be encased to create a sort of "Vacuum" effect,or leave them "naked"?(looking under the car's bonnet shows the fan encased)
Has anyone had experience in this field?J.B.
Mick Taylor

Re: Rad:cooling

Post by Mick Taylor »

In the absence of an expert in engine cooling (who might pop up of course) I would suggest looking at what the bike manufacturers do, everything is done for a reason, although with bikes, cosmetics will lead to compromises.

If a bike has a shrouded radiator fan that is not immediately visible, it's reasonable to conclude that the shroud has a performance benefit other than the obvious one of not allowing fingers and small children to get minced by the fan.......if your fans are exposed it's probably sensible to shroud them in any event.

There is an explanation of the need for shrouds here.......it seems it's concerned with focussing air flow.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-tool ... nent/28863

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Re: Rad:cooling

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that Mike,everything explained nice and simply Very Happy,(If I have a shroud made up I may even get away with the original fan wink)ride safe,J.B.