Air cooled mods

Ageing Rotarian

Air cooled mods

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Dear all, my classic replica is getting nearer to the top of Grahams to do list and I have been pondering over not only the repair but also some upgrades.

Although I have learned to live with the erratic cold start of the rotary I believe the new ignition box is a worthwhile consideration but would appreciate some feedback?

As well as this I am planning to fit braided hoses etc but would like To know if you think there is anything else which might be worth talking to Graham about?

All the best
Roy
Charles Wilson

Re: Air cooled mods

Post by Charles Wilson »

johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Roy,having owned a Classic for the past 20 odd years and ridden the old girl some 67,000+ miles here are some of the upgrades I have made
The Minimag Ign:system is a must Very Happy.
The Cold Start takes a bit of work adjusting the Idle Rod,all trial and error,took me ages,got there in the end though wink
I don't know where your VCR is located? but on Classics (originally) Norton located it back to back with the Ign:Box:behind the N/S Side Panel, BIG MISTAKE exclaim,the VCR creates vast amounts of heat,located behind the side panel there is no air flow,the VCR overheats,cooking itself and the Ign:Box evil,I replaced three(3)of each before I realised what the problem was,I relocated the VCR away from the Ign Box and into an Airflow location cool.
Another little upgrade is a Volt Metre,(modern VCR's DO NOT come with a wire for the Ign Light,so one has no idea whether the charging system is doing its thing until the battery go's flat evil)
I too have upgraded the brake hoses to Stainless Braided.
I also had the Front Brake Discs drilled,aided brake cooling and looks the biz Very Happy
I also relocated the Horns,my buggers melted exclaim(air cooled Rotories run very hot indeed)
I think they are the main upgrades.Have fun,ride safe,J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

OK, OK, maybe there aren't many interested in Variable Overlap...

Anyway, when I first had the RE-5 back in 1982-ish, I replaced the Brake Lines with Braided Steels. I also looked at the brake assembly and discovered that the pistons were pitted and otherwise in dreadful shape. It seems that what we call "DOT 3" brake fluid absorbed water quite easily and thereby pitted the surface of the brake pistons. When I screwed everything up, ummm...back together, I used "DOT 5" brake fluid which is silicon based. Our little crowd of Bikers over here all switched over with positive results.

Braided Lines are a very good recommendation. I don't know if that brake fluid problem still exists but if it does...

Thanx,

CW
Ageing Rotarian

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Thanks for the comments Charles/John, it's not that I am not interested in variable overlap but I am a visual learner and get lost without a drawing or a picture! smiley

Take your point John about the voltage regulator. Although I have replaced mine and everything seems fine it is still strapped close to the ignition unit so may still be a problem long term.

Have you had the new type ignition box fitted and if so was there a major benefit?

I think the universal braided hose upgrade can only be a good thing so will arrange that one with Graham and then hopefully get back to some smooth motorcycling (did 350 miles on my interceptor three weeks ago and just getting over the effects).

All the best

Roy
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The Honda is due its MOT in mid July,I may have to fit new brake pads,I will look for corrosion,Iv'e done umpteen pad changes over the years on both bikes and cars,never seen any corrosion on the pistons,but having said that,how often does one need to take a piston out?only if they leak fluid or are seized? (can't remember the last time I had that pleasure smiley)J.B.