Hercules front housing oil seal.

Hunter

Hercules front housing oil seal.

Post by Hunter »

Hello All,

I am in need of some technical assistance regarding my Hercules.

Whilst I was doing a routine service I found that the oil seal in the front plate is leaking. There are 4 socket head screws attaching the magneto plate mount to the front plate. The problem I am having is that these 4 screws are turning but not screwing out. Also they are reasonably firm to turn as well.
Has anyone found this? Or does anyone have any idea what may be happening and how to get these out? This needs to come off before I can get to the oil seal. This unit has never had any interfering human hand on it up until now.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Hercules front housing oil seal.

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

The screws you mention locate in the threads contained in the front side housing.
I wonder if the gasket or seal is holding onto the threads making them a) hard to turn and b) difficult to remove?
How about a pair of grips (Mole?) on the head of each bolt and pull them out, assuming you have undone them enough?

David
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Thank you David.
I may not have moved them enough to see them coming out. They were quite firm to move after the initial crack. I was worried something may not be right.
Also I have been given some information that they are locked in with thread sealer/lock compound and need to be heated up to soften sealer.

I will be having another look on the weekend.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

If you have the engine workshop manual, it would probably say whether or not a locking compound is recommended for use on the thread of these screws ... that would give the clue whether it might have been when the engine was assembled.

David
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I solved the mystery. The hex heal bolts are 153 mm long and have nuts and washers on them on the power take off side.
So prime mover has to be removed from chassis to change this seal. I will now do a full de-coke while I have it out.

There was a short reference in my shop manual in the re-assembly section indicating that the magneto mount was fixed with 4x 6mm x 153mm bolts, washers and nuts.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re-reading your original post, I see that I misread it.

I assumed it was the bolts holding in the oil seal, given that was the title of your post.

I am pleased that you have solved the 'mystery' ......

Please do take some photos and send me some. Many thanks!

David

PS/ Email address:- RotaryOC@aol.com