Misfire with electrical load

spanner boy

Misfire with electrical load

Post by spanner boy »

Hi all, a new problem has appeared on IP2. It had now developed a misfire with any electrical load, which if left on can lead to a stall. The battery is charging at around 14v. I have changed the voltage regulator. for a spare as a precaution. No fault there. The battery is only a couple of months old and has been kept on a battery conditioner all the time. I know the fault I'm describing sounds like a knackered battery but while I'm sorting a load test out. I would like to rule out any other possibilities. Incidentally when applying electrical load the battery voltage does not fall. The only other possibility is a harness issue somewhere as I'm still using the old police harness. Any ideas?Thanks in advance Paul
Joe

Re: Misfire with electrical load

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul,Well this bike certainly keeps you on your toes. Just to be sure, the bike runs fine without any electrical load until you use the horn, lights or indicators? ..... It's a difficult one but as theses bikes are now over 25 years old I strongly suggest you check all of your electrical connections. The IP 2 and Commander have a number of multi pole connections which suffer from with dirt and water ingress and not helped by old age and this can increase the resistance in the circuit which may cause all sorts of problems.It's a right pain and a long slow job but I would start at one end on the wiring loom and follow it through until you come to a connection whether it be an earth or multi pole connector and ensure the connections are spotlessly clean. All our bikes will benefit from this attention especially high millage ones.Regards, Joe.
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Thanks JoeYep is certainly keeps things interesting. Thanks for the suggestions, yes that would give the same problem, I will give the harness a thorough check.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Make sure you you haven't cable tied or routed the ignition pick up leads next to the alternater yellow leads as this can give some funny running faults.Keep these as far apart as possible,
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....