ip2 Threaded insert on frame failed

spanner boy

ip2 Threaded insert on frame failed

Post by spanner boy »

Hi anybody got any experience with repairing the Threaded inserts in the box section frame on an interpol 2? One of the inserts holding the carb on has failed . I'm currently looking at M8 riv nuts bur u think they need to be air tight or am I wrong? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Joe

Re: ip2 Threaded insert on frame failed

Post by Joe »

Hello Spanner Boy, Has the thread gone in the rivet nut or does it just rotate in the frame? If it's just loose which I've experienced before then I'd try to re crimp it with the crimping/fitting tool and see how it goes, not sure though about it being air tight. I believe the frame was painted after the rivet nuts were installed which would have given them a degree of air tightness. If you do have to replace the blind rivet nut you could seal it first with silicone RTV before the crimping. RTV is used on the air transfer ports and inlet manifolds so ideal for the job. Just a thought. Regards, Joe.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

it could be possible that the rivet nut swages its self to the steel, a tube swagger on flue tubes expands the tube behind the face plate causing the sealIts just a thoughtRegards Wayne.
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I've gone with epoxy resin. My only worry now is ensuring that it doesn't flake off and get ingested but I think it will be ok. Paul
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Update, the epoxy did not work:(. I've bolted the carb back on now and will look to get a countersunk blind rivet nut for the future.Thanks for all the help.Paul
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, It sound like you have had bad luck with your threaded insert. The M8 cap head screws should be no longer than 25mm, any longer and they will bottom out in the insert. I have checked my Interpol 11 frame over the weekend and my threaded inserts are welded from the inside probably during frame manufacture. They could possibly be re- welded from the other side of the frame through the carburettor inlet manifold opening but I don't think it will be an easy job. I've aslo checked my spare IP 2 frame and my spare Commander frame and these too are welded not crimpable rivet nuts. Not sure if this info will help you at all. Regards, Joe.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

I think this is quite a common failure - one of mine is the same and a mechanic from Reg Allen's that used to service these bikes says he's seen loads like it. I have stuck mine back with epoxy and it seems to have held but I'm really careful when inserting the bolt not to push against threaded insert.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Plastic metal is much better than epoxy. Not affected by other chemicals.Derek.