cranking voltage IP2

spanner boy

cranking voltage IP2

Post by spanner boy »

Sorry if this is an old post but I remember in the dim and distant past someone posting that if the cranking voltage dropped below 10v on an IP2 with spark right ignition controller then the output to the coils would be switched off. I have been having some start problems with my ex police bike since getting it back on the road at the weekend. I am now spending time going through the 12v circuit improving connections as I go. I'd just like someone to confirm my memory. Thanks
JohnOR

Re: cranking voltage IP2

Post by JohnOR »

Hi Spanner boyIt may have been me many years ago that posted about cranking voltages.I had issues with no spark from the Sparkright which werre resolved by supplying a relayed supply.The supply used from memory was that used by the advance retard box. The only mod necessary was to move a lucar connector behind the nearside side panel on the relay. The fault did not reoccur untill the engine was rebuilt at Nortons and the wiring returned to standard. The rebuilt bike would crank but not fire until the button was released. On getting the bike home I repositioned the wire and the fault went away.I should have the wiring info written down somewhere or can inspect the bike at sometime if this does not make sense to you. I hope this solves your problemsRegards John
spanner boy

Re: cranking voltage IP2

Post by spanner boy »

Thanks for the reply. Yes that make perfect sense I'm just contemplating my next move now. I'm thinking of renewing the cable and start relay and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help.Paul