Coils on Commander

Campbell Adie

Coils on Commander

Post by Campbell Adie »

Hi, has anyone out there moved the coils on there Commander to a more acccessible and drier place? When we were away in Spain in Sept. we encountered lots of rain and surface water resulting in the bike misfiring it eventually cleared its self but it was a recurring problem on the journey home. I have had the bike for 18yrs. and after having travelled about 70,000 miles its the first time this problem has arisen, I may have been lucky, the only difference this time was that I had a different tank bag fixed on with holding straps going down from the tank and under the head stock possibly chanelling water down to the coils. I have heard that the spray up from the road can reach the coils in their original position, thanks Campbell Adie
Chris&Jenny

Re: Coils on Commander

Post by Chris&Jenny »

Adie,We have had this problem for years but only during heavy rain. We have always used a tank bag fitted in the way you describe, but the first time it happened was during very heavy rain in 1997 coming back from Devon, which was severly flooded and made the national news. On that occasion we had no tank bag on. With ours it coughs a bit when rain becomes heavy and runs on one when it becomes a downpour. We did have an ice cream tub cut to fit around the coils, that worked well to deflect the water but it split after a few years and subsequent attempts to make a new one have only been partly successful. I have heard of people fitting the coils behind the screen to solve the problem. Chris.