Water Pump

GerryT

Water Pump

Post by GerryT »

Hi I am now ready to start up my commander after many years of standing i have carried out all the commissioning advice given by the clubspeaking to some commander owners at a NOC rally they advised me to check the water pump , any advice would be welcome
tim harrison

Re: Water Pump

Post by tim harrison »

In my experience the water pump is the least reliable component on the Commander. Just three weeks ago my bike boiled near Bordeaux on the way to Spain. The oldham coupling had worn to nothing on the impeller side. i had a spare with me and I was sufficiently close to an aire de repose to coast in where there was a safe working area and most importantly water. The reason for the failure was that the sealed bearing had stiffened up causing wear on one end of the coupling.If your water pump isn't leaking water over your left boot then the seal is ok. I would advise you to download from the Startright website the explanation of how to assemble the water pump. The removal of the water pump/alternator housing is straightforward but the hose can be a bu**er to get off and on. Check the shafts and coupling for wear, a certain amount is acceptable. Make sure that the impeller spins freely. If all is ok pack with grease and follow the Startright instructions instructions. It is possible that the grease in the bearings will have hardenned if the bike has been standing.You cannot dismantle the pump without breaking the seal and that brings with it another potential problem. The original seal is no longer available. Graham at Startfight has seals with are 2mm wider in diameter and to fit these the housing has to be machined. He can supply all the components or will take in a customers housing, get it machined and assemble the pump. Alternatively you can ride the bike and keep an eye on the water temperature, the pump however usually works unlil it fails, there is no intermediate stage. If the seal leaks however you can usually get it home as the leak is likely to be negligible when moving.I would be happy to help if you live anywhere near South Lincolnshire or EssexTim
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

The original mechanical seal is still available, I fitted one two years ago and have a spare in my tool box, original size seals can be obtained from:John UreFerrier Pumps (Aberdeen) LtdUnit 5 Portlethen Ind EstAberdeen AB1 4PFTel: 01224 782022Seal type 700, size 0127, material code BVPFFI have no commercial attachment to Ferriers, I told John Ure that I would inform the members of the ROC but only if I thought his seal was OK, so far it seems it is.Tony
holger999

Post by holger999 »

Hello there,the water pump problem comes when my Norton before F1 sport?are there then the same parts?greetingHolgerPs.: I have NO problem in the moment red face
GerryT

Post by GerryT »

Thank you for your reply sounds good news regarding the seals it will save machining worksTim thanks for the offer l am in Kent I have down loaded the manual from Startright and read section C It looks like l have to remove the complete water pump housing to check that the bearings are running smoothwhat is the best grease to use for these bearings
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

All,About two years ago I overhauled the water pump on my Commander, currently and while preparing for the NOC rally in Italy scheduled for May I have overhauled the pump again; bearings are like new and the mechanical seal although a little tatty is still good, also checked the Oldham coupling and found it to be in good condition.I am changing the bearings and seals(s) anyway and in the process will use my spare mechanical seal, I like to carry a spare with me just in case, so just now popped down to Ferrier Pumps and picked up a spare for £20.00.The seal available from Ferriers is the original size, my water pump housing has not been modified, anyone looking for a new original size mechanical seal, Ferrier contact details as follows:John Ure (john.ure@ferrierpumps.co.uk.)Ferrier Pumps (Aberdeen) LtdUnit 5 Portlethen Ind EstAberdeen AB1 4PFTel: 01224 782022Seal type 700, size 0127, material code BVPFFI have no commercial attachment to Ferriers, I told John Ure that I would inform the members of the ROC that original size seals are still available but only if I thought his seal was OK, so far it seems it is.Tony