Second petrol tap on Commander?

Dave

Second petrol tap on Commander?

Post by Dave »

Hi, has anyone fitted a normal gravity feed petrol tap on the other side to the original vacuum one? I have done a forum search and see that there were two taps fitted to some early Interpols, but the second tap was done away with due to being left on and flooding the engine, but my thinking is to use it only as a reserve in emergency, and to drain that side of the tank occasionaly to release any trapped water. I know that Norton offered a electric version years ago, but assume these are not now available. I presume a decent engineering firm could fit a threaded lug into the tank to take a standard gravity feed tap?, anyone got any thoughts on this idea?, good or bad?, thanks Dave
johnbirchjar

Re: Second petrol tap on Commander?

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dave,I got fed up with fitting new diaframs in my Classic's petrol tap only to have them eaten by the dreaded ethanol evil (one has no idea the diafram is perfarated until one removes the petrol pipe from the tap,a perferated diafram results in petrol gushing everywhere)so I fitted a bog standard On/Off tap twix Nortons "vac tap" and the 1st pipe junction as a back up,seems to working just fine(so far wink)rgds,J.B.