Fuel Probs

johnbirchjar

Fuel Probs

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,more p**y ethanol woes evil,this time the diddy little "O" rings on the fuel line T junction that fits into the carbs,fortunatly A/N have some NEW(not new /old stock) ones(prt/No 55-0451) The other time was the diafram in the fuel tap,and silly old me, not realising they are "Handed"so sods law dictated that I put the thing in the wrong way round red face.(It took a while for me to realise what the problem was)there you go exclaim,something new learnt. ride safe,J.B.
spanner boy

Re: Fuel Probs

Post by spanner boy »

Hi I'm currently suffering with fuel problems. I suspect that a misfire I have is down to fuel starvation or air being pulled in. What was the symptom when the diaphragm and o rings failed? Thanks for the help.Paul
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, You don't say what bike you are having trouble with. If you have a plastic in line fuel filter, remove it and check the inlet and outlet spouts have not reduced in size. This is now a very common problem and most likely down to modern ethanal fuels which soften the plastic. About 7 years back I had a new filter close up completely 25 hours after it was fitted. It was new old stock from the old Norton Motors so actually could have been 1989 stock. Regards, Joe.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul,Reading another post I see you have an IP11. Same rules apply as this uses the same carb's and fuel filter arrangment of a Commander.Does your fuel tank suck in air when you open the filler cap? Could be a blocked breather. Regards, Joe.
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Thanks for the suggestions Joe. I've just ordered some new fuel line and clips and now plan to work my way through the system. I've no fuel filter fitted at the moment but think that the old fuel line may have deteriorated in the same way.Paul
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, Yes, you're probably right. I can recal an occasion when exactly this happened on my other Commander. The fuel line was blocked solid and the carburettor float bowl was full of black muck which attacked the aluminium casting, I'm sure this was also down to Ethanal fuel used. I only use the posh fuel now (98 ron) which doesn't contain any Ethanal, yet. Not surprisingly either, no problems since.Regards, Joe.