This can't be good..

RotaryDane

This can't be good..

Post by RotaryDane »

Just dismantled the forks from my IP2 as the stanchions are starting to pit, but the springs do look in a bit of a sorry state, one is a full centimeter shorter than they other and both show sings of buckling up againt the stanchion walls. What do you lot think, are they ready for the bin?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nortonash

Re: This can't be good..

Post by Nortonash »

Overdue for the bin I would say Very Happy Have you considered maybe using something more modern as replacements, even USD forks? I like tye mix of classic/modern in a cafe racer.
RotaryDane

Post by RotaryDane »

I have, but I like the idea of keeping the Marzocchi forks, swapping out the internals like Maxton does, fully adjustable cartiridge goodness. besides already got both clip-ons and fork brace. Very Happy
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi allforks statntions can be rechromed, you would have to check on spring avalability, I have reconditiond commando forks in this condition but parts were readly avalableFitting new forks of another bike correctly can be a bit of a nightmare and dangerous if done in corectly, After stansion diamiter, the weight of the donor bike needs to be compaird (this is for static sag), wheel spindel diamiter, speedo drive, brake caliper mounting, brake disk offset all need to be considerd as they may not be compatterble with your existing front wheel be awair the same model usd forks can have differant stantion and slider lengths the Wp Roma forks i use were avalable in 14 length variants with 100mm differance on overall length from the shortest combinaton to the longest, in photos they all look the same untill compaird side by sideI have a bike on the bench that was built up by otheres, I am amaised how mutch the front end was a lash up, hidden to the untraind eye, lucky for me i asked spondon to put new disks on and they spotted the faults and sorted it out as a matter of course.Regards Wayne
RotaryDane

Post by RotaryDane »

Just recieved this email from Maxton;
SteffenThanks for your enquiry, we can help you out with the problem on yourforks but have no spec sheet for you to read. We convert your forks, butnot by modifying the existing internals. We throw everything inside thefork away and start again with our internals.The internals we supply is our own GP20 cartridge style damping system.The cartridge system is the same type of internal as what you would findin any modern front fork. It has been manufactured and developed by ourown engineers and has pistons and shim stacks for the rebound andcompression damping. The Cartridge also has needle valves so you canadjust the damping. The damping adjusters are external, so you can changethe damping without having to strip the forks down, but we hide theadjusters to keep the classic appearance. As part of the conversion wealso machine new fork tops to take the new cartridges and dampingadjusters. We also fit new springs.Every Maxton GP20 cartridge is built to order, the reason for this is tovalve and spring the cartridges to suit the fork, the bike, the ridersweight and what they are using the bike for. Once the cartridge has beenmanufactured we then fit the cartridge to the fork to make sure it workscorrectly. In most conversions we have to modify the original bottomsliders and stanchions so our cartridge will fit and work properly. Theforks are then returned to you fully serviced with new seals and thespring preload and damping set up.The Maxton GP20 cartridge costs between £330.00 and £630.00 + V.A.T.Depending on how adjustable you want the cartridge to be.- For £330.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound damping.- For £430.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound damping andpreload.- For £530.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound andcompression damping.- For £630.00 + V.A.T the cartridge is adjustable for rebound andcompression damping and preload.To service the forks with new seals and install the cartridges costs anextra £135.00 + V.A.T on top of the cartridge.All adjustments can be made without having to strip the forks down.
Seems a bit pricy at £630 for a "set of fancy springs" but from what I can gather, the reviews a overwelmingly positive, one guy got his elderly VFR 750 fitted with Maxton suspension and was blown away by the ride. When it came to selling the 750 for a newer 800 model he changed his mind after the test ride, the 800 he said handled like a barn door comparatively. It all just depends on how much you are willing to spend on your old goat. smiley