Ignition Box

johnbirchjar

Ignition Box

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I have an "Apex True Time" ignition box fitted to the Classic,and according to the instructions that came with the Ign; box,there is an LED light that lights up with Red & Green coloures at various stages of opperation,this was so when the box was fitted about 11,000 miles ago, I now have no spark at the plugs cry and no light on the box cry, could the box be s####d? the syptoms were, I used the bike on Friday,and no spark on Saturday exclaim ,any thoughts?J.B.
mickm

Re: Ignition Box

Post by mickm »

Hi JB i have just brought a similar one from Graham. Still on the bench. If you can get the bike to my place we can try a substitute !! Mick
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks Mick, It is the box thats s####d cry,I borrowed a Boyer that Dell Boy had as a spare,plugged all the wires in and the old girl went first stab of the button Very Happy,not to happy about the old one though,11,000 miles and it's knackered,having said that,if(as I suspect) the VCR isn't doing it's job, could this knacker the ign; box? anyway I still have to buy a new one,and surfing Boyers web site they don't seem to sell one for Norton rotories,any sugestions anyone? ride safe,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

John,Get it repaired !Unlike the Boyer, where everything is buried in 'pudding', the digital boxes can be opened and repaired.You never know, Julian might be sympathetic.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks Richard,I thought they may be repairable,(seeing as they come to pieces)Who.s Julian? Any thoughts on the VCR? It's a Padronics,once again,not much on longevity,roughly 35,000 miles,(the original Boyer was even worse!17,500) what is it with bike electronics,cars, trucks & buses last hundreds of thousands of miles,why not bikes? ride safe,J.B.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Some statistics.Red commander bought with 29,000 miles on the clock with engine Shenstone rebuilt/molyed at 28,000.Replace water pump 40,000/46,000/59,000/74,000/91,000 miles.Batteries 42,000/52,000/76,000 miles.Boyer ignition. 67,000 miles.Voltage regulator. 91,000 miles.67,000 miles from the Boyer ignition unit is not bad I feel. Plus it was mounted in a very hot location.Derek F.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

johnbirchjar wrote:Who.s Julian?The chap who makes them; talk to Graham about it first as it's usually very reliable. If you've had a voltage regulator problem, it may be that the ignition box is fried.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
berry_jr

Post by berry_jr »

To contact Julian, try Minimag: http://minimagneto.co.uk
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi GuysWho is Julian?? He has tested my Norton Motors F1 Ign box and later rechipped to up the rev limiter to 1100rpm. Julian is a one man band but is very trustworthy there was a small fee for checking my box but I was buying reliability. He is a very talented person with his Ign Boxs? Minimag: http://minimagneto.co.uk has my vote any day. Was it Richard who once said "fit and forget" I could add also keep it dry and cool. Ride SafeAndy cool
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,thanks for the info,een as we speak Julian has my box and is (hopefully) repairing it so I can be at Ingatestone this weekend,(If the worst comes to the worst,I will load the bike on the trailer and fix it at the rally!!)ride safe,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,"And it came to pass" there was nothing wrong with my Ign; Box,collected it about noon from Julian and spent all Friday afternoon & evening,wiring the thing back on the bike,still no go!!,so Saturday morning, load it on the trailer and off to the rally,get to the rally,off the trailer,jumper leads from the car,start cranking,no go,"keep cranking"(Richard I think)sure enough the old girl finally fires up,dense clouds of smoke,much coughing and waving of arms from the on looking hords(well about six realy)and me a much happier biker Very Happy.So,it would seem that when the VCR stoped doing its stuff(I have no idea how long it had been on the blink)which in turn knackered the battery,and did it melt the fuse?time will tell, I had allready fitted a new VCR last week,+ a new battery (purchased from our team leader)and have been today fitting a voltmetre to the bike(not a five minute job ,nowhere to put extra "clocks" on a Classic) so hopefully this is the last entry on this little saga,hope to see lots of you at Skipton next month,ride safe,J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Well done in the end John but it did look nice balanced on the trailer wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....