twin head light race faring

Wayne

twin head light race faring

Post by Wayne »

Hi Allthis may be of interest to some f1 sport owners with a twin light race faring Following a request from me for a twin headlight race faring, i have been informed by NML the moulds are no more, they have along with others moulds have been destroyed in a fire. If an existing faring can be located a new mould can be made for £2 TO 3K, the person wanting the faring made, will have to pay this but will own the mould. Could be expensive if you drop an existing bikeRegards Wayne
graham

Re: twin head light race faring

Post by graham »

Wow! That seems expensive.A mould I recently had made for the F1 Sport tailpiece cost £450 and that's as complex as it gets (It bolts together with 16 bolts and is in 3 pieces). I stood that cost myself, believing that future custom will eventually bring me a profit.Cost to me per unit is £90 so I charge £150 retail to recoup my manufacturing costs and eventually turn a modest profit . I keep one in stock all the time. That's business :-) http://www.startright.co.uk/index.php?m ... d=3770I've already remanufactured most of the F1 sport panels and will happily reproduce any parts you need with no charge for making the mould. Grahamhttp://www.startright.co.uk/index.php?main_pag ... ath=324_55
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi all,charging way over the top is about the norm for NML,they charged me £700 quid for an end plate (air cooled) and then I heard that Graham sold the same item for about £380!!,was I miss-informed? over to you Graham.Regards J.B.
Richard Negus

Feeling liverish tonight !

Post by Richard Negus »

[quote="johnbirchjar"]Hi all,charging way over the top is about the norm for NML,they charged me £700 quid for an end plate (air cooled) and then I heard that Graham sold the same item for about £380!!,was I miss-informed? over to you Graham.Regards J.B] evil evil
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
graham

Post by graham »

Left endplates for air cooled rotarys are getting very thin and thin on the ground. I presume for £700, it was cosmetically nice and Moly Coated.Right now, I don't have any left endplates in good condition, the ones I have are below the minimum thickness limit and would need a thick shim under the stationary gear. Preparing one cosmetically and Moly Coating would cost about £200. The endplate then doesn't look quite so expensive at £500. Unlike Glassfibre parts which are fairly straightforward to reproduce, making a new left endplate would cost a lot more than that even as a small batch.In my opinion a lot of money for just one component but probably a fair price for a good one.Graham
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for your opinion Graham,the one that I purchased was all nicely polished,and like you said they are getting a bit rare now,hence the reason I "bit the bullet",so that heaven forbid that I ever need one!!! Regards J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Did something rattle Richard's cage wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi AllThe mould cost it is nothing do with NML its the cost from the original manufacturer, the point of the email was highlight an existing faring needs to be obtained first and the potential costs involved. My view would be your insurance company would not pay for full mould cost plus the cost of the faring for the few owners who had the modified faring.As graham pointed out if a mould could be made it may well put 200 to 300 on top of the manufacturing costs for 10 faring, at the prices quoted if the demand was there i would happily pay for the mould. but i don’t think the demands there, Richard will be able to comment on how many twin headlight fairings were madeThe one question I don’t know the answer to is was the actual race faring mould lost as more than one mould was lost in the fireAs to charges, manufactures have a bad habit of charging over the top for something they don’t really want to do or make in the hope you will go away or be dumb enough to pay the inflated price. The previous firm I worked for charged 100.00 +vat minimum labour for a workshop repair, the company a the time charge £40.00 per hour minimum 1hr to trade customers, they simply did not want Saturday morning private or diy customers. I was against this policy as I believed it was ripping people off and it properly helped my demise with the company.Norton Motors ltd (Richard included) or Graham have never ever in my opinion blatantly ripped people off, I was always happy to deal with both and still will do, However costs must be kept relative but nether NML or Graham will ever have or obtain economies of scale for parts that Norton Shenstone had. Thiers a real possibility in time as the rarer machines get damaged or components fail they may become museum pieces or be modified way from original unless you are prepared to pay silly money to remanufacture one of parts.Also I have noticed on my classic motorbike policy, even where an agreed value is in place the insurer reserve the right to have there own independent valuation to assesses against the value you submitted even though they have agreed to the valuation. Due to the recession I strongly recommend you have an up to date valuation, it will make it harder to disputePlease feel free to agree or disagree with the above as its only my opinion
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,Re my comments on NML over-charging,seems like large slices of humble pie have to be consumed by yours truly,so appologies offered to NML,(serves me right for not checking information recieved befor "mouthing off" )regards,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

[quote="Wayne"]i don’t think the demands there, Richard will be able to comment on how many twin headlight fairings were madeI made three bikes in total: a blue one, then a black one, and finally a kit of parts for a yellow one now in Germany.The one question I don’t know the answer to is was the actual race faring mould lost as more than one mould was lost in the fireI understand that the moulds for the race fairings were lost. The moulds were for the 1990 RCW588 and the NRS588 fairing ; I have a feeling that the same fairing was used on the Roton and Duckhams Norton.. Seat mould for the RCW588 is ok.To make the twin headlamp front fairing, I modified standard race fairings ; there isn't a separate mould for it.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi RichardWith only three bikes in existence with little chance of any more people wanting to make any more the cost of the mold mabe just one of the stumbling blocks, getting an original faring maybe the main problem as I doubt the national motorcycle museum will lend a faring out,If you hear of any one remanufacturing either a full race or twin headlight faring give me a shout and I will also offer to have one made, to help reduce the cost of the mouldRegards Wayne
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi WayneHave you any pictures of one of these twin headlight fairings,with Richard stating he only made three it would rate them as rear as hens teeth. Im surprised the cost of all these replacement fairings.The good news is I purchased a Duckhams full race fairing kit back in 94 for a project that I had in mind but time has not allowed me to get on with it, the full Kit still hanging in the workshop! althrough the fairing,seat,and front mudgard are very thin they are all untouched and very lightweight So alls not lost.Ride Safeandy588tt Very Happy
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Race fairings are very thin to acheive lightness & to keep them cheap because they are likely to be smashed on a regular basis requiring frequent replacement. Derek.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

hi andy the following link shows the twin head light modhttp://www.nortonmotors.co.uk/Prototypes%208.htmRegards wayne