Sidestand length and excessive lean

TonyR

Sidestand length and excessive lean

Post by TonyR »

I am the temporary custodian of a Commander, I am enjoying riding it but the angle of lean when on the sidestand is frightening, by the time the stand starts to meet the ground, I am thinking I am going to drop it, and it is as much as I can do to lift it back up again.

The stand may be slightly worn, but even if it was pointing almost straight down, it would still lean too far.

With a pad of roughly 3 inches, it leans at what I consider a safe angle.

Has anybody tried extending the stand in any way?

I think it would need to be about the same length as the Commando stand to hold the bike at a good angle.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Re: Sidestand length and excessive lean

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

I have owned my Commander for a number of years and when I do use the side stand I do not think it leans at an alarming angle, I ride each Wednesday evening with the Aberdeen Advanced Motorist motorcycle group, they all have modern bikes, I do not think my bike leans any more than theirs.

Could your on loan bike been modified? if you wish I could check the measurements of my side stand for comparison.

Best Tony
Clive603

Post by Clive603 »

That sounds a bit wrong.

Measuring mine:-
the length from pivot to pad base is near as dammit 13 inches

angle of dangle of the side-stand relative to the ground with the bike on its centre stand and pivot play taken up is near enough 40°.

natural position when extended with bike on centre stand puts the pad about 3 1/2 inches above the ground, taking up pivot play adds another 1/2 inch or so.

Put a 3 inch block under mine and it would be perilously close to upright.

Far as I can see the Commander leans little less than most modern bikes when on the side-stand. At least relatively long bars give you decent leverage to haul it up when standing astride. My other bike, a Yamaha GTS has a little more lean, short bars and over 100 lb more mass. Serious heave needed for that!

Clive
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I find a comfortable angle of lean is 10 degrees, this required a 75mm pad under the stand.

I tried tightening up the pinch bolt to lessen the slop without success, I then realised the bush was preventing it closing so I removed 1/16 inch off the end of the bush, this enabled me to remove almost all the slop.

This then leans at 18 degrees.
Now, for the same 10 degrees, I only need a 45mm pad.
With a 25mm pad it is 14 degrees which I can cope with.

I (Well my wife) measured the gap between the side stand and the ground with the bike sat on its wheels at 100mm after the mod.
The gap when on the centre stand is 4.5 inches = 114mm
And the angle of dangle is 35 degrees.

So based on Clives measurements, I think mine is possibly slightly bent but it is not obvious where.

So now I have tweaked the mounting, I will just have to carry a 25mm pad with me, which coincidentally the owner has provide me with.

Thanks Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

When I had the Classic, after umpteen thousand miles the side stand became a bit floppy(technical term wink)I tried quite a few ideas to try and cure it,with little or no success,didnt take on no excessive lean though.(No help to you,just a bit of a story Very Happy,)ride safe,J.B.
tim harrison

Post by tim harrison »

My sidestand was getting to the point where the bike leant over so far it was difficult to get the bike back to upright. It seems modest movement at the top end translates into a big movement at the bottom end. I have improved mine a bit a one benefit is that the bike fills better with petrol whilst on the sidestand. Tightening helped and I suggest that working on the top end of the stand will make a better job than welding a plate on the foot