Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
Howell

Post by Howell »

Hello,I've finally taken the plunge and joined up. I guess like many of you, I followed the development of these machines from the mid 70's. I finally got hold of a well worn Interpol in 1990, which after a rebuild, gave me many years of reliable service. In 2008 I removed the fairing, installed a classic style headlight assembly, and had Richard and Peter at NM moly the engine, (It had "smeared" by now) as well as powder coat it. It is now going extremely well, and I am delighted with it.I will have to strip it this Autumn as it's tendency to jump out of 3rd gear is becoming annoying - anyone had similar trouble? the shafts and gears looked fine in '08, I suspect the camplate bush.Clearly bitten by the bug, I also have a '92 Commander.I would like to thank Richard & Peter at NM and Graham at Startright for their cheerful assistance over the years.Happy Rotoring to all,Howell
rogerdodger

Re: New member

Post by rogerdodger »

Hello Mr EvansI think we have met a few times and I may have seen you out and about on the roads in South Wales, I haven't been on the site for a while and from the new members saying HELLO and getting no response, I thought I would say HELLO just to prove we ain't all dead ( a few more years in me yet). We should met up and go for a ride sometime. All the best
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yes sorry Howell welcome and nice to see another IP2 owner within the circle of trust wink My IP2 has had a noisey third gear for many years but it has never jumped out, I found it is now quieter after refilling with new Morris 80W140 and added some Activ8 for luck.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Howell

Post by Howell »

Thanks Roger and Mr. Mod.Yes, my Commander also has a noisy 'box, but the interpol isn't bad by comparison. The stripdown and inspection will hopefully reveal the problem.The Santander ferry to the NOC anyone? See you there.Regards,Howell
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Howell, judging by the comments I hear from other rotary owners a noisy g/box is standard for most of us,it,s just a crap box!!mine is noisy in all five gears,tends to "miss" 3rd coming down when used in a hurry,(e.g.4th to 3rd and squirt to overtake)not quite so bad since I fitted a new cam spring last spring(09)but I,m still very wary,find 3rd first then squirt,never jumps out of gear though,yet.I and some of the other members of the Essex N.O.C. be on the ferry on the 7th,see you then,safe riding,J.B.
Howell

Post by Howell »

Thanks JB,Looking forward to the Cruise!Howell
MrB

Post by MrB »

Hi Howell,I have a Norton box in a Commander engined IP2. 3rd is noisy as hell, 4th isn't much better. 5th is quiet though. A Schuberth crash helmet cured the noise :-)No problem with gears jumping out but gear changes right now are occasionally good but mostly stiff and clunky. That's disappointing given the effort I've put into the clutch which seems to be very good now following a complete set of new plates and rubbers. The next thing to try is Mobil 1 in the chaincase.What else can make a gear change clunky? The rear chain appears to be adjusted correctly (that said, I've only had to adjust it once since I got the bike nine years ago). Neutral selection is relatively easy.Johnny
Howell

Post by Howell »

Hi Johny,It does seem that the 'box is not the best loved part of these machines! I have to say the front forks are not a patch on the IP2's either. My Commander is clunky as well as noisy. But- an old Brit bike that needs minimal maintenance and goes like hell, as well as being comfortable make it a good option. I'd better not tempt providence by saying they don't break down either!RegardsHowell
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I suggest you run and find a nice piece of wood to touch very quickly wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Hi Howell,Pleased that you are now here too. I joined recently but we used to meet up from time to time when you were living in Reading. You rebuilt your IP2 then. I have that Dorchester grey commander which I hated and kicked every time we met. I still have it but it is in intensive care- touch and go- as it has no seals left to seal at 30k. Graham is molycoating my side plates.I liked the Triumph you had and eventually have bought a Daytona 900 93 myself which is getting me about. I would be very interested in getting in touch again. rg4e.bti@btinternet.com 0118 9472023Best wishes,Bob