New F1 owner saying hi

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
Is vic there

New F1 owner saying hi

Post by Is vic there »

Hi Gents,As some of the members on here are also on FB you might already know I am the proud owner of a 1990 F1, always wanted one and never thought I'd have the opportunity of owning one as I am now living in Brisbane, Australia.When one came up on eBay down here I talked it over with the wife and we decided to go for it!I have cleaned it and started it and but yet to ride her, took her round the block!I'm very happy with the F1 and find myself just standing there looking at her with a beer in my hand, nowt wrong with that!Before I ride her I would like to check the level of the gearbox oil, having read the owners manual I can't find how to do this, also the expansion bottle for the radiator is that low I can't see any fluid but the radiator is full, is this normal?Hopefully someone can shine some light on this so I can take her out one day this weekend!The future plan is to ride her and take her to shows, just want to give people the opportunity of seeing one in the flesh, this is the first one that I've ever seen!Tried to post some pictures but they have too many pixels in them and haven't a clue how to resize them, sorry.
Joe

Re: New F1 owner saying hi

Post by Joe »

Hello Is vic there, I've had an F1 Sport for around twenty years but can't throw any light on how to carry out the checks you mentioned, I was able to take my bike back to the factory for servicing. I'm sure Wayne will be along soon to enlighten you on how to do the checks you mention, he has three F1's and a top bloke too. I assume "Is Vic there" is a reference to Departmant S, good song. There are a number of Rotary owners down under which I follow on the RE5 forum and some cross over to this forum too. Regards, Joe.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi VicThe top up bottle should always be full, continually adding coolant means you have a leak, also there's no drain point on a f1 for draining the coolant but the f1 sport has.I recommend you always take the rad cap off annually or the rubber seat can bond its self shut, I had a big triumph do this and blew a hose off at 100mph. Also I recon this happened on my f1 in 1995 after the bike was mollyd it boiled over after stopping at Sheffield services on the way back from Norton fresh from a engine rebuild,John Williams and Tony Evens came and collected the bike from the services. The bike proved a real head ache for John and Tony to sort, I think the engine was rebuilt 3 times, the problem turned out to be the rad fill neck had been made wrong from new and the previous owner did 600 miles in two years from new probably never getting it thoroughly warm to boil over. : remember saying to John thoroughly test it before I get it back, he certainly did he put a 1000 miles on the bike and its been no real trouble since.You need to drain the gearbox oil, and top up 900cc not 950 as stated in the manual, F1 blow oil out of the gearbox breather when ridden hard, f1 sports the breather pie runs right to the back of the bike. John Williams runs his breather in to a little catchment bottle.I would say if , Wust, Aka John Williams, Richard Negus or Bob Rowley post advice relevant to you take note they are ex Norton and know what they are on about, so dose Graham who owns startright mc or zfd who owns Andover Norton. Every time I speak to these chaps I learn something new.Regards Wayne
Is vic there

Post by Is vic there »

Is vic there wrote:Hi Gents,As some of the members on here are also on FB you might already know I am the proud owner of a 1990 F1, always wanted one and never thought I'd have the opportunity of owning one as I am now living in Brisbane, Australia.When one came up on eBay down here I talked it over with the wife and we decided to go for it!I have cleaned it and started it and but yet to ride her, took her round the block!I'm very happy with the F1 and find myself just standing there looking at her with a beer in my hand, nowt wrong with that!Before I ride her I would like to check the level of the gearbox oil, having read the owners manual I can't find how to do this, also the expansion bottle for the radiator is that low I can't see any fluid but the radiator is full, is this normal?Hopefully someone can shine some light on this so I can take her out one day this weekend!The future plan is to ride her and take her to shows, just want to give people the opportunity of seeing one in the flesh, this is the first one that I've ever seen!Tried to post some pictures but they have too many pixels in them and haven't a clue how to resize them, sorry.
Is vic there

Post by Is vic there »

[quote="Is vic there"][quote="Is vic there"]Hi Gents,As some of the members on here are also on FB you might