engine oil & frame number

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
paulwolf

engine oil & frame number

Post by paulwolf »

I have just bought a 1993 commander,can anyone tell me the best oil to use in the engine? also is it correct that 253 commander were built and what was the frame number on the last one built.Thanks Paul
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: engine oil & frame number

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Congratulations on your good taste in buying a rotary Paul!In the UK, there are two oils most commonly used (although one or two riders have their own unique preferences) ... they are:-* Shell Rotella 40* Silkolene 2TThe former is now DD+40, a mineral oil developed for 2-stroke Detroit Diesels and is cheap, about 3 Pounds a litre; the latter is a synthetic two-stroke oil and is about twice the price.Re: frame numbers .... one member has #4309 as a complete bike .... though I believe another has #4310 as a bare frame. Perhaps they can confirm?David
paulwolf

Post by paulwolf »

Thanks David,My number is 4290 so it`s one of the last 20 by the sound of it.Paul
mxman

Post by mxman »

Mine is 4209.Roger
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I have 4265 & 4292.Derek F.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

I have records which are not 100% complete, suggesting that P52 and P53 started at 4001 and finished some where around 4245.Then came P53Krauser, starting at 4246 and up to 4309; within this band are six P52 police bikes.4309 was built as a special order in early 1995 by Shenstone Service Department for a regular customer.4308 is listed as an engine-only with no record of where it went.4307 and 4308 were the last 'production' bikes, built in 1993 before the Canadians took over and are, I believe, both now in the US.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I use Comma HD 30 & have done for about 15 years. One bike has now done 100,000. After rebuild & molying at 28,00 miles it has been run exclusively on Comma oil. Prior to that it was on Rotella. Comma oil can be responsible for laying down some very effective smokescreens.Very good when late braking into speed camera road markings when finding yourselve a tad above the imposed speed limit.Disclaimer. This is not an endorsement of the product, only my experience in using it, plus it is very cheap. I average from 600 miles to 800 miles to the litre.Derek F.
paulwolf

Post by paulwolf »

Thanks you everyone for your help.Paul
Rotary morini man

Post by Rotary morini man »

Mines 4198 year..1990
gbcastro

Post by gbcastro »

Hey All, last month i bought a Commander originally imported to Portugal, (probably of 2)Mines frame number is 4291 , seems im in between Derek and Paul Wolf... It says on registration that manufactured in 93, is it correct?Its in reasonable condition, has only 8.800 Kms but needs a paint job to be decent (green).The previous owner rebuilt the water pump, but used hand made parts and its now leaking. I contacted Startright several times for some parts but they never answered. I also learned through this forum that one should have the rotor Mollyd, is it not? But i wont make loads of miles, should i do it anyway?The problem is i here in Portugal no one knows about this bike and im less eager to make a general fluids change and service.When i bought it, the owner said it has been standing there for a couple years, and that it would probably not start. But with a new batteries started easily and sounded ok.2 weeks ago i took for its first ride. It accelerates well to 4000 rpm but then seems clogged or something and looses power, sometimes accelerates well to 6000. I took it to the freeway and made it to 6000 rpm for a few seconds, and suddenly and seems there is lack of fuel and looses all power, then almost shuts down. Wait a few seconds and start again. Just threw in the tank some additive carb cleaner and seems its helping.Shoul i service the carbs? Anyone have a hint?I dont thik its electrical, but i have no rotary experience.Goncalo
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi, my bike is number 4296, and was registered mid 1994, so yours sounds about right, as to the water pump, Richard rebuilt mine about 2 years ago, and i believe there is a mod he does, because a seal is not now obtainable, look thro some of the previous posts, im sure theres something on the site regarding this, Dave
bill

Post by bill »

Hi. Goncalo There was 5 Commanders sent to Portugal in 1993. One was sold to Spain this year.. I sold one to Germany. 2 years ago .. Number 4303S a 1994 . One went to Canada in 1994.. I have one in my workshop now . number 4302S a 1993.. Bill .
gbcastro

Post by gbcastro »

Hi Bill, nice to hear from someone in in Portugal. Seems there are 2 commanders left in Portugal, mine and yours...Where do you service yours?Gonçalo
bill

Post by bill »

Hi. Goncalo ( Up date ) Just got a new Commander in the work shop from Lisbon 4301SBill
Campbell

Post by Campbell »

Frame no. 4250 first reg. Aug. 1992 resides up in Aberdeen and is in good health. All the best, Campbell.