Norton Rotary Classic (BSA) on ebay

Mick Taylor

Norton Rotary Classic (BSA) on ebay

Post by Mick Taylor »

The 'BSA' Norton Rotary Classic (#44) has found it's way onto ebay.

I think they could have done it a large favour if they had removed the wingrack and re fitted the original rear lights and seat valances.

They don't even mention the original parts are available with the bike..which I would have thought is a major selling point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152926084366?ul_noapp=true

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Re: Norton Rotary Classic (BSA) on ebay

Post by johnbirchjar »

I can't see it making the asking price,to many things "Not quite right" even a mint Classic would struggle,and how can it be number 44 (made in 1986) if my Classic is number 29 (made in 1988?)J.B.
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

I suspect they have taken a few things at face value........I was briefly in discussion with the person who was selling this bike on behalf of the widow of the deceased owner; a very decent sort who had stepped up to assist the lady in the disposal of her husband's bikes .......but I would not have paid anything remotely like the figure being asked here.

I know all the parts to return it to standard are with the bike because I sent the chap some photos of what he was looking for and he replied with a pic of what he found in the shed.....everything required, which made it a much more attractive prospect (to me).....but no mention of that in this listing.

I also discovered it was fitted with a new speedo at some stage and the actual mileage is approx 24,000......speaking to Graham at Startright, he pronounced it a good running example which had had an engine overhaul and ran exactly as is should.....the paint on the other hand is just a matter of personal taste.....had I ended up with it, it would have been straight back to original silver.

Fortunately for me, my old bike #66 became available and I bought that one back, but that purchase was really triggered by this red bike being available, so I owe the seller a debt of gratitude.

As for the obvious error with the date of manufacture, the DVLA say June 1988, so a simple clerical error I guess......but it's worth bearing in mind what I learned from Richard Negus (I wish I'd filmed him stripping my Classic engine, I'd be a lot less wary of it exclaim ) that the 100 (or so) Classics were not built in strict numerical order, I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere where he refers to that and the reasons for it, so #29 was not necessarily the 29th build.

Mick.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

John,

Prospective Classic Owners could choose a frame number of their choice, so long as it had not already been chosen.

So, if your lucky number happened to be (say) 99, you could have LE-099, even if it happened to be the first one of the production line.

David
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

More facts:.....I didn't know that David..........every day's a school day. Very Happy
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

I confirm, from the Norton production records, that 044 passed final inspection on 9th May 1988.
The agent/dealer's description is questionable. Rotary development started around 1966 as a BSA project, transferred to Triumph at Meriden, then to Norton Triumph at Garrets Green, Birmingham, and finally to Shenstone.
All of the production bikes, including the Classic, were conceived and built at Shenstone and owe little, if anything to the work done at BSA.
As I may have mentioned before, 044 is "a good bike spoiled".
If you go to www.nortonmotors.co.uk , you can see some photos of those early BSA and Triumph prototypes.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

As I may have mentioned before, 044 is "a good bike spoiled".

I could agree more