Idle Rod Length

johnbirchjar

Idle Rod Length

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Guys,I trust you all had a good Christmas?and let me welcome you to the New Year with the need for a bit of info: wink
Can anyone tell me if the Idle Rod on Commander's is any longer than the one on the Classic/IP2's?('cos if not I have wee problem insomuch as mine is running out of thread before the Throttle Butterflies move evil)unless there is further adjustment somewhere else?J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Re: Idle Rod Length

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

The idle rod length on my Commander is 20.5cm

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Tony,is this fully extended?J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

20.5 cm is the set length, there is still a good bit of adjustment left but not required on my bike.

As long as the choke lever at the throttle butterfly's is properly aligned and you have the rod in the correct hole in the plate at the carb end 20.5 cm should be close enough

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Tony,Yours is definitely longer wink,I measured the one off my Classic and it comes out at 19.00 at maximum extension(no wonder I am having prob's setting the Carbs up)The wheels are in motion for me to(hopefully) obtain a Commander one.
Thank you for your input,ride safe,J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Looking at the parts lists, the Commander and Classic have different part numbers.

These fast idle rod assemblies were made up in batches, but I can't remember whether the individual components are of different lengths.
The assemblies were "set" to length by loctititing the threaded short rod into the brass sleeve.

You might find that if you heat up the brass sleeve and break the loctite you can extend the length of the assembly. On the ones I have, the short
piece is screwed into the sleeve about 10mm.

Hope this makes sense.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for the info,but I have now had a "longer "one made cool (and will keep the Classic one for when the Classic engine once more returns to the frame wink)ride safe,J.B.