F1 Sports

fogrider

F1 Sports

Post by fogrider »

Many years ago, I went to Cadwell for a Norton event. Lots of rotaries there, Trev Nation, Steve Spray and others, I had a very interesting chat with Bob Rowley who mentioned Tony Squires was keeping a record of how many Norton rotaries existed and said he would add mine to the list. He suggested there was only "around" 50 Sports left so, anyone know how many Norton rotaries left?, especially the F1 and F1 Sport.
The DVLA site is a very loose guide (to say the least), anyone in touch with Tony ?
Regards, Terry.
Wayne

Re: F1 Sports

Post by Wayne »

The figures i was supplied with is 67 f1 sports from Richard.

Regards wayne.
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Thanks Wayne, it seems then that every F1 Sport built is still around, I wonder how many in the ROC, chairman?
Regards, Terry.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I recon all the f1s exist, all 3 prototypes do plus the 4th the prototype frame which two were made with the same number. Joe (zfd) zfd is a race bike.and thers the f1rI.

I recon a large porton of f1 were unregisterd. I asked the question in 1992 and was told about 30 of us ride them. Since then more have been Registered for the road.

I don't think its that differant with the f1 sport, two are less there engine, there converted to the race faring by Richard.

The dvla web site information cant be reliyed on for numbers made.

Regards wayne
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

The F1 Sport series, also known as TT for Germany, starts at chassis/engine number 050300 (the Green One) and finishes at 050369.
That last one was a frame-only supplied to Norton Motors Deutschland and made there into a complete bike from parts.
050343 was sold as an engine only.
050367 and 050368 were engines for Norton development, possibly the F1-engined Commander project.
Total complete F1 Sports assembled at Shenstone is thus 66.
An odd coincidence, if you like, is that 66 was the race number of my 750 Commando that finished 2nd in the 1973 24 Hour race at Spa Francorchamps.
Spooky or what?
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
spondonash

Post by spondonash »

That's interesting Richard as when the 'Green one' was recently advertised the owner said it was the last one made hence historic when in fact it was the first one built.