Norton Commander/Interpol Axial Bearing

Peter Holland

Norton Commander/Interpol Axial Bearing

Post by Peter Holland »

I've a 1990 Norton Commander. Is it possible to replace the rotor shaft axial bearing - ball, Pt No. 55-0135, with the engine in the frame? I've previously removed the clutch, primary chain and engine sprocket, so have the special tools for this. Is it just a case of unscrewing the bearing housing, behind the engine sprocket, and removing?
I've 13 thou endfloat on the rotor shaft which is not going to do the water pump coupling any favours.
I'd expect the endfloat to be practically nothing with a new bearing.
No wear limits appear in the IP2 manual that I have.

Anyone ever done it?

Thanks

Peter
johnbirchjar

Re: Norton Commander/Interpol Axial Bearing

Post by johnbirchjar »

I was told it is possible for the left hand end plate to be removed while the engine is still in the frame,don't know about the right hand though,you could try wink and report on the result smiley.J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Peter,

Yes, it is possible to replace the axial bearing without removing the engine.
You are almost there. Unscrew the 5mm hex head screws and tease off the bearing carrier.
Remove the seal and circlip, then the bearing.
It might be a good idea to fit a new oil seal at the same time. (55-0417 from memory)

I presume your endfloat is with the sprocket removed? This would be normal without it all tightened up.
Peter Holland

Post by Peter Holland »

Dear wust588,

I measured the endfloat while the pump housing was removed. The drive side all fully assembled. 13 thou axial clearance with the drive sprocket and bobweight fully secured seemed abnormal. You confirm.
Thank you so much for letting me know that the bearing can be replaced with the engine in situ. I'll follow your advice to the letter.

Peter
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Hello Peter,

When you come to replace the bearing, you will notice that the axial bearing is held by a circlip. You'll see that
the bearing is "loose" radially. It is designed (my understanding anyway) to only hold the shaft axially. Any "end float"
would be tiny anyway, unless the bearing housing is worn also.

In my eyes, this is an important bearing and you are right to see that what end float you have is abnormal.

ATB,

John.
PS, The bearing is a :- 16005, C3
Peter Holland

Post by Peter Holland »

Some time since I asked for guidance. Thanks all.
Anyone wanting to replace the axial bearing. Ditch those allen keys that fell out of the Christmas cracker. You need a really good quality allen key set to undo the (loctited) drive side bearing retaining screws. The countersunk screws, especially, that hold the oil feed, only have 3mm sockets and will soon round all but the hardest of allen keys as you attempt to loosen them.

Take care to keep dirt out of the bearing area when things are opened up.

A couple of good runs out on the Commander this month and I'm very pleased with how smooth she seems to be running. New axial bearing and some replacement parts in the water pump Oldham coupling.

Cheers to all
Peter
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Well done you Very Happy,does this mean that you will be blasting down to Austria for the NOC rally? wink,if so I'll see you there exclaim,ride safe,J.B.