Insurance

Ageing Rotarian

Insurance

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Unfortunate to be tipped off my classic replica before Christmas, (was turning in front of a car which had stopped at a junction and then just pulled out) and have been A little disappointed with the Carolenash experience.
First plantec assist called to ask were I wanted the hire bike delivering to and when I stated that I didn't want one they pretty much hung up. I had to call Carole Nash to see who was going to repair the bike and they said plantec, so I had to call them back up and ask if they were going to repair the bike, They said yes but I am going through the third party insurer (who has admitted liability) and Graham is going to look after things for me.
The legal team asked about medical care but then didn't explain that they also look after recovering the cost of replacement equipment. Had to call Carole Nash back up to ask how I claim for a new helmet and they said the legal team look after all that.
Seem quick enough to take the money but If anything happens the system is impersonal and geared up to making money out of your misfortune (hire bikes etc). Heard some horror stories about bikes getting written off, settlement figures established and the bike auctioned off before the owner knew anything about it.
Probably par for the course just wondering if anyone has had any other experiences as will probably change insurers next time round.
All the best, Roy
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Insurance

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Ouch Roy!

Just pleased that you seem okay.

David
Ageing Rotarian

Thanks David, more than a bit annoying to be honest, rare sunny afternoon, I'd been out on my A65 and had a nice run out so decided to run the Norton up and was knocked off about a 1/4 of a mile from my house. Had lights on and hi viz but if they don't look in your direction I guess it doesn't make much difference.
Very low speed so Broken foot rest and a few scrapes on the exhaust shield and mudguard so quite fortunate in a way (other than head butting his alloy wheel)
All the best
Roy
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Unfortunately, I think that whoever you insure with it turns out to be the same old story of them getting your money quick followed by pretty poor service when you actually need it. I left Carole Nash (after being with her from when she started out) when my premium rocketed without any particular reason - then again, heavy sponsorship has to be paid somehow - i.e. by us! My current insurer, Bennetts - another prominent sponsor, bumped my premium UP when I downsized from a BMW1150 to a Guzzi 750! So I will also be on the hunt for a decent insurer this year - if there is such a thing?
Cheers
Mark
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I'm with Peter James,this being my fourth year, (after being with Carol Nash since forever until she "sold out" and the new owners put al sorts of "clauses" in the cover evil )P.J. have had the rescue truck out to the Classic twice,once for just a battery "jump start" and once for a recovery,both times most satisfactory,and the premiums are well competitive Very Happy,quite a few of my biker buddies switched to Peter James from Carol Nash,haven't heard of any bad reports about P.J.at the time of going to press wink,pleased to hear that only the bike was damaged Very Happy,ride safe,J.B.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I was also with Carole Nash for years, but last year my premium jumped up and I had also been charged what i thought was an excessive amount to remove two bikes from my policy during the year, so i was recommended to try Peter James, and found them very helpful and saved over two hundred pounds for the same cover, worth ringing them, Dave
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Roy,

I'm glad to hear you are OK. Shame about the bike though.

I too was with Carol Nash for years but wanted to add two bikes for the renewal. I rang C.N. 3 weeks before I wanted it to start and after a week chased them up, another week went by still nothing. Now I only have a week before renewal so I chased them again and once again promised to get back to me they didn't so with just one day left of my policy I rang them again, they did finaly ring back . I answered the phone (not knowing it was them) I said hello and the reply was "£379.98" and nothing more I asked what was (still not knowing who it was) and they said your insurance is, so I said "really, for all those bikes?" (8 bikes) with which the reply came straight back "sorry wrong mumber" and the phone went dead.

I new it was time to move on so I went to Footam James first and later Peter James after they split. I am really please with P.J. an excellent service so far though I havent made a claim. Think I've got a renewal to look forward to soon.

Don't let anybody take your bike for safe storage, it's safest in your garage. Insurance companies seem to like to get hold of your vehicle beforehand and then sort out a claim which is not on. The bike could end up anywhere during this pediod or even untraceable. I made a claim on a classic Lotus Elan I had many year ago and was told we'll collect the car and put it in safe storage, I replied my garage is perfectly safe so I'll hang onto it thanks which didn't go down well at all. I was accused of all sorts but stuck to my guns. If they had paid out for my car they could do anything they wanted with it but not until this happened. I did eventually get paid out and bought the salvage back and sold this for thousands too. Ding Dong.

Sorry to bang on a bit, must get out more.

Regards, Joe.
Ageing Rotarian

There is a bit of a theme going on here with increased premiums connected with poor service so the only thing you can do is vote with your feet and try someone else. Looks from johns experience that PJ'S are on the ball with support so will give them the business next time round.

This has been one massive pain in the backside since it happened and I will have to work very hard not to be out of pocket let alone be compensated for all the inconvenience. Now being told that they will not replace the helmet but will make an offer based on original purchase price minus wear and tear (one minute you have a £250 piece of equipment less than a year old and then you have to fork out more money by no fault of your own).

Only decent thing is that startrights are dealing with the repair and I trust Graham implicitly.

The saga continues

All the best
Roy
mike_500

Post by mike_500 »

i was also with carol nash for many years till last year when they couldn't insure my gpz1100 because it had an 1170 big bore fitted,i have now changed to bike sure which is part of adrian flux and have been very happy with them over the last year even though it meant starting my no claims from zero as carol nash do not give a no claims bonus,bike sure even cover my bikes on 2 addresses as i live part of the time in the isle of man so i thought £325 fully comp for my f1 my commander and my 1250 bandit which is on a manx plate very reasonable and i can get agreed value on the f1 with them regards mike
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thinking on your comment about "no claim bonus" I don't think any company that I have ever insured a classic bike with have offered this,I don't know if this applies to modern bikes also,J.B.
Ageing Rotarian

Like you John, I can't remember being offered a no claims bonus.

Mike, is your insurance a limited milage policy?

Regards

Roy
mike_500

Post by mike_500 »

my policy is a rider policy with a mixture of modern and classic
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I changed from Carol Nash to Peter James when Peter James first started up. They were incredibly cheap at the time & better still did not require any valuation documentation for agreed value. I have used there recovery service several times with almost complete satisfaction. I have recommended Peter James to many people since going to them. Prices have risen a bit, not much, & as an aside they will not insure Chinese bikes which for me was a bit of a nuisance.

Derek F.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Dell Boy exclaim,havn't seen you for ages,hope you are keeping well Very Happy
I didn't know you had a Chinese bike/bikes, are they any good?(their cars are pretty grim wink)ride safe,J.B.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Yeah, I am fine John. I rescued a little 125 sports bike from rotting in a back garden. Single cylinder 4 stroke. Very nice little bike. New carb/fuel cock diaphragm/mirrors costing about £80.00 in total to get it back on the road. For the price I think they are very good value. I sold it for £500.00 last week. Will try to make it to club night next week.

Derek F.