diagnostics

johnbirchjar

diagnostics

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Guys,Nothing at all to do with rotories,or bikes. wink.Will a "Diagnostic" probe pick up a problem that is not constant?eg.the engine merrily bowling along cool and then a marked drop in power evil,arrive at the destination,and when leaving couple of hours later the engine is on full song again!!and then 10/20 miles later the power once again drops right off(it's not the fuel filter, a new one was fitted at the last service in the summer)any ideas?J.B.
Ian

Re: diagnostics

Post by Ian »

John,Most modern cars will log fault codes in the ECU so provided the fault however intermittent, is one the ECU has been told to monitor, it will be revealed as a code.Not every car's ECU monitors the same things. You'll need a code reader to find out. These days most workshops will have one.Ian.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that Ian,rgds,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Are you the same "Ian" that lent me his "Clutch Tool"? if so many appologies for keeping it for so long,but there is a "light at the end of the tunnel" smiley the engine internals are being looked at on the 2nd of December,so hopefully you will get you C/T back soon after,I will keep you(and all my readers wink) informed,rgds,J.B.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yes John, I'm THAT Ian!Just let me have it back when you're done with it. My Commander is now tucked up for winter and was showing no need for a clutch tool when it went to bed...Good luck with yours,ian.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello JB,Perhaps I missed your posting but was wondering what is wrong with your Classic. I understand it has now been checked over by an expert. So whats the verdict?Joe.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Joe,yes I was preasant when the engine was pulled apart,what a mess cry,both End Plates + the Centre Plate severely smeared,and much more Carbon than was warented for the 7,000 miles the bike has traveled since the last "full engine re-build"the guy stripping the engine estimated 50/60,000 miles worth of carbon evil (I will leave you to draw your own conclusion)I have returned home with the striped engine and am in the prosess of removing all the offending carbon using Oven Cleaner on the Rotors and leaving the Plates and Ecentric shaft soaking in 50/50 split of Truck Wash and Water for a couple of weeks, then when they are nice and clean Richard will use his expertise to decide if any of the internals are(fingers crossed) salvagable.I will keep the Forum informed of progress.I will take this opportunity wish all club members and their nearest and dearest (and bikers everywhere)a very merry christmas and ride safe in 2017,J.B.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello JB, Thanks for your reply.Oh that doesn't sound good, fingers crossed all parts are salvagable. I do have a spare LH end plate and I think a R/H side too, I wasn't thinking of selling either but if needs must I could probably let them go. I've also got a few sets of new rotors available but not sure if they're air cooled or not, I'll have to take a few mesurements. I'm sure somewhere I also have an air cooled shaft knocking about. Lets hope you don't need any parts.Regards, Joe.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Joe,thanks for the offer,I definitely keep you in mind should I need any of the aforementioned parts.Have a good Christmas and ride safe in 2017,rgds,J.B.