Fuel

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
mcmarvellous

Fuel

Post by mcmarvellous »

Bit of a plonker today!The bike's fuel indicator shows empty after about 80 miles and leaving to get work I chose to do the 22 mile fuel gauge challenge rather than be late after filling it and sort of won, coasted to a halt in the work's car park.Now....not had the bike long and haven't stripped it all down to have a look but, is there a reserve tap on it somewhere or am I looking at a walk to the petrol station in my lunch break?It's a 1989 Commander, with the integral panniers.MIke
mcmarvellous

Re: Fuel

Post by mcmarvellous »

Just found an article on Real classic, apparently there is a reserve under the right hand panel, Convenient....I'll check.Mike
mcmarvellous

Post by mcmarvellous »

Found the tap, but the bike is running rough, like it is only firing on one plug. Noticed when I started it this morning it was rough on choke then cleared itself. Ran fine to work after that. Plenty of oil in the tank. I will fill it with fresh fuel, turn the reserve off again and see how we are.
mcmarvellous

Post by mcmarvellous »

New fuel, Petrol tap back to where it was before- won't fire ! arrgggh!
mcmarvellous

Post by mcmarvellous »

It lives! Every day is a school day...
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Mike, That doesn't sound like the right millage for an 89 Commander. These have the slightly larger Aluminium fuel tank apposed to the later steel type. My 89 Commander would do 168 miles from full to reserve, no more no less. No idea what it does on reserve though. In fact I have coasted to a halt around six times in exactaly the same place to switch over to reserve. I once installed new fuel pipes and made the pipe from the fuel tap to the R/H carb slightly too long, which rose upwards to above the fuel tap outlet and reduced my range to something like what you are getting. I guess it trapped air? After simply shortening the pipe so it ran down hill from the tap my range returned to the original figure. Now after some carburettor servicing and tinkering here and there I have a range of 180 miles before requiring reserve. Also my oil consumption is much better too. I only use 98 RON fuel not supermaket stuff.Regards, Joe.
mcmarvellous

Post by mcmarvellous »

Hello Joe, I meant that the fuel gauge shows empty after very few miles, the tank still has fuel in it. When I first rode the bike, the gauge said zero and the previous owner assured me I had plenty of fuel left. I have filled the bike up and got £12-14 in it.The sender for the gauge must be mounted in the wrong place.I have started to use the speedo and reset it when I fill up, I remember having about 158 on it yesterday (in the car today). My BMW GS1150 would always flash a warning at 189mile. I got a new petrol can, dropped about £6 in, and then filled it up on the way home. Having a Commando with an interstate tank, this tank feels small!Still, enjoying the bike so far.Mike
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Mike, Apologies for my misunderstanding. Commanders suffer from wiring issues usually water ingress and it's very likely a bad connection could be to blame for the inaccuracy. Try to check and if necessary clean all of you electrical connections around this area paying particular attention to the earths and including the three 9 way multipin plugs under the right hand side of the fairing. Even if these aren't the cause of your problems they will benifit from a clean for sure. Enjoy the bike, they are a pleasure to ride. I should know, I've covered nearly 300,000 mile on my two Commanders.Regards, Joe.