Real Classic Article

Dave

Real Classic Article

Post by Dave »

In this months magazine is an article by Roger Slater about a ride on his Commander, in it he writes he has modified the gearchange by fitting a direct action gear lever, reduced clutch plates from 18 to 10, and thin oil in the primary chaincase, just wondering if anyone has tried any of these mods, and if anyone knows which make of gear lever would be a direct replacement on the gear change splines?, this would seem a very easy mod to carry out, and worth trying?, Dave
Joe

Re: Real Classic Article

Post by Joe »

Hello Dave, My Commander has a direct action lever, it's from an Interpol 11. You will need to replace the standard Commander gear lever spindle for the Interpol 11 type because they are not the same size, Commander is smaller diameter. Works well and easier to find neutral. I also use thin oil in the primary chain case but can't recal what grade. Richard recommends it somewhere in this forum. I never had any issues with my clutch plates so left well alone. Joe.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I have found using Power Steering oil in the Classic primary chain case makes the clutch a lot nicer to use, Very Happy (picked up this tip from Del Boy years ago wink)J.B.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is similar & what I actually use John.Dell Boy.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, i will see if i can get hold of a lever and shaft from a interpol to try, ( i presume they are a straight swop? ) but in the meantime i will change the oil and see if it makes a difference, thanks again Dave
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Dave, I've just found the post where Richard recommends using SAE 5w 30 in the primary drive, I use SAE10w 30. Gear change is excellent and finding neutral is also great.The IP 2 gearchange pedal shaft is a direct swap for a Commander and the part No.'s are;69-0527 Gearchange pedal spindle asssembly, 69-0597 Gearchange pedal,55-0576 Rubber - gearchange pedal,55-0237 Blanking plug. This blanks the alternative mounting hole,23-4248/A2-70 Screw - pedal clamp (M6 cap screw),23-5002/A2-70 Nut (M6),23-4571 Plain washer.Existing circlip and oil seal are the same as are shims but alternative sizes are avaiable. Regards, Joe.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Joe thanks for the part numbers, i will check this out and see if anyone has all the parts involved to do the change, thanks for taking the time to write them out, much appreciated . Dave