Time for a re-wire

mick695

Time for a re-wire

Post by mick695 »

Good Afternoon everyone from the stormy North As the Norton has decided it was not going to start last week, for no apparent reason, I suspect electrics.....I've decided to take shelter in the garage to start a re-wire and a good tidy up.The first circuit I want to work on is the Ignition circuit to see if I can get the bike running before I remove all of the wiring.I've identified all of the components and I'm left with this black box which I take is the ignition unit... see attached photo...Can anyone identify what make or model it is?If faulty, can it be tested or repaired? I'm in a mind just to remove everything and replace with new.......in which case, what is the current thinking on the best ignition system and components to fit to the bike? Which is by the way an IP2 fitted with a Commander engine...... CheersMick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Negus

Re: Time for a re-wire

Post by Richard Negus »

Mick,That black box is a Norton Digikit system, which, when I made it, would have had it's own separate wiring loom to connect the box to the 12 volt PVL coils (part of the kit) and a spur with a black and a brown wire to connect in to the bike's main loom. The round connectors to the box are IP68 waterproof and one connects directly to the automotive-style Hall effect flywheel sensor. That sensor should have a 2.00 mm +/-0.30 air gap to the flywheelThe usual ballast resistor was designed out of this system.On the other side of the box, there should be a small label with that box's serial number.In my opinion, and I readily admit to being biased, there isn't a better system currently available for Norton rotaries.
Digikit.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
mick695

Post by mick695 »

Hi RichardThanks for the reply, you are spot on, my system looks exactly the same as your picture, apart from muck and corrosion.........If you say it's the best ignition system for a Norton Rotary.....well that's good enough for me...so I would like to keep it on the bike if possibleI've attached a picture which shows the serial number DN0950 iss2 #1024 just in case the picture is not too clear.A few questions spring to mind, if you have an answer........Are there any tests I can carry out to check the efficiency of the box and the rest of the system?Is it possible to still have the box checked over, replaced or serviced in any sort of way?Are replacement coils still available? or will most 12V coils do the jobIf the box turns out to be U/S can the trigger be used with any other ignition systems that may be available?CheersMick
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

mick695 wrote:Are there any tests I can carry out to check the efficiency of the box and the rest of the system?You can check the sensor gap and all the sub-harness connections are good.Is it possible to still have the box checked over, replaced or serviced in any sort of way?Yes, I can get it tested by the original manufacturer.Are replacement coils still available? or will most 12V coils do the jobYes, they're a standard 12 volt coil made by PVL in Germany and available from Andover Norton and several other suppliers. Personal preference, but I would avoid the replica coils made in China.If the box turns out to be U/S can the trigger be used with any other ignition systems that may be available?No, the other systems for the rotary use a derivative of the original Sparkrite inductive trigger developed specifically for Norton in 1976. The Digikit flywheel sensor is an automotive part, made by the million and used in almost every modern petrol engine.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
mick695

Post by mick695 »

Hi RichardThanks again for your reply, I'll check out the condition of the wiring and connections next time I'm in the garage and will probably change the coils as a matter of course, I'll contact Andover Norton for new coils.If you can arrange to have the box checked over that would be great, let me know when is convenient for you and I'll pop in the post.CheersMick
nednortonrider

Post by nednortonrider »

hi , Are you thinking of doing a complete re-wire or just a 'tidy up '?? I ask because I have a Interpol stripped of all the police equipment which I am building a caferacer with.Startright are having some harnesses made ( eventually ) to fit . If you needed one it might be worth you getting in touch which might "rattle the cage " and ,hopefully , speed things up . Cheers ,Ned .
mick695

Post by mick695 »

Hi NedThanks for the tip off about the wiring harnesses........I'm going to do a full rewire, but prefer to have a go myself.....always up for a challenge and should learn something in the process....but, then again, ask me in New Year if I'm still smiling.....CheersMick