A new face to the club

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
Jeff mcCoy

A new face to the club

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Hello to all,My name is Jeff McCoy and I am rotorholic. They say the first step is to realize you have the problem, but at least in my case, this just seems to feed the disease. It started when a friend of mine, a paramedic, went out on a call. A man weighing 720 pounds had fallen out of bed and his wife could not get him up. 7 firefighters were able to make a stretcher and got him to the hospital. On the way out, he noticed an odd motorcycle. He called me and described it as having no cylinders. I said, " does it say RE5 on the side cover?" He said how did you know? After the man was better, I took a trip to see the bike. His wife met with my friend and I and said her husband was better. The fireman had come back and installed an engine hoist in the room and made a harness to lift him, so she could change the sheets. The grandkids love to come over and spin grandpa around. (You cannot make up stuff like this). After some more time and stories pass we got to the bike. Turns out they had no interest in it and picked it up cheap. It showed 2,400 miles and was one of the first 100 made. I now own 5 Suzuki RE5 bikes and enough parts and tools to choke a horse. If this was not enough, I have now picked up a Norton Classic #89, that I have been chasing for 12 years. A rare bike in The U.S. I hope to contribute to this site. Jeff
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: A new face to the club

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Welcome to the forum Jeff.A membership form to join the club will be on its way soon!!David
Richard Negus

Welcome

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Jeff,Welcome from me also!You're not alone with your Classic, there's now one in Texas too. There are at least three Commanders, two Interpol 2's and one or two F1's in the US at present, although with the age rule now applying, there are likely to be several more in the next few years.You'll still be unlikely to see another Norton rotary when you're out riding though.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Thank you for the welcome. I think there is a Classic in a museum in Solvang California. That is about 4 hours north of me. I was going to check it out one day. Is there a registry for The Classic? And I am not familiar with this age rule you speak of.Jeff
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jeff,Up to now 'legal' import of complete Norton rotaries has fallen foul of the lack of US certification and I believe those that have managed to get there are not licensed. There was a route through Canada but that is now closed.However, uncertified bikes that are more than 25 (or 26, not sure) years old can be imported without restriction and licensed.Andover Norton hold the original production records for all Norton rotaries and service records for those that passed through their Service Department. However, you may have to ask VERY nicely to get them to divert from their normal business.Is there anything in particular you'd like to know about your Classic?R
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Nothing particular at the moment. I do like to keep the providence of my bikes when I can. This bike was owned by the mayor of a large city in California, and it has a California registration and title. that was one of the things that attracted me to it. The Vincent club keeps tabs on most bikes, there is an RE5 registry. I thought with so few bikes, that somebody might keep track of where they are. I am pouring through the history of questions on this site, lots of information here to be sure. I will be following along with interest, hope I can contribute some day.Jeff
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Jeff mcCoy wrote:Is there a registry for The Classic?
Yes, run by the club.We have lists of all (that we know of) W2000s, RE5s, Nortons and OCR1000s showing:- i) frame no., ii) engine no., iii) licence plate (if any), iv) colour, v) Country and vi) and owner's name (if known).David
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Am not home as I am on vacation until next month. Will list all my rotary bikes in my membership application. Will be having my end plates coated and resurfaced when I return home. I see talk about ceramic end seals. Are they available? Worth the extra effort/cost to obtain? Compatable with the moly coating? Any other upgrades advisable while motor is apart?Jeff
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

From the silence that has been here all week, should I assume that no one has had experience with ceramic end seals?Jeff
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

I believe one member did put them in his Commander, but senility means I have long forgotten his name .... I guess the answer Jeff then is 'no' ...DC
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jeff,I haven't heard of ceramic side and pin seals, but ceramic apex seals are available as an option for the Aixro single-rotor kart engine. Lighter than the standard cast iron items, they are said to allow higher prm. I believe they will fit the Norton rotor, but are of one-piece construction rather than two pieces of the Norton design.Horribly expensive (about 3x an iron seal) and I don't know anyone who's tried them, or with what results.Usual things when you rebuild your engine.if you take out the rotor bearings, use new circlips.don't re-use the pin seal springs.fit brass-caged main bearings.change to synthetic pre-mix 2-stroke oil, Silkolene Classic 2T by choice, or Bardahl KGR..scrub the clutch plates & use SAE10W-30 oil in the primary.take out the starter sprag clutch and wash it thoroughly..full carburettor overhaul, including the O-rings in the cold-start mechanism; use SAE40 oil in the dash potsRgds,R.
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Thank you for setting me straight on this. Will be using Andover Norton parts for the build. Richard, thanks for the tips, will take them to heart. I am sure I will have more questions when I get home and and under way. Will post my progress.Jeff
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jeff,Just noticed where you are in the US!There's another Norton rotary owner, with extensive Mazda rotary experience, only 12 miles or so from you on Carson Street/Belshire Ave intersection, Hawaiian Gardens.It's a small world.R.
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

In Southern California, there are so many people here with all kinds of interests, I always say there is one of everything here. Richard, do you think this person would be agreeable to having contact? Jeff
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Jeff,welcome to the(very exclusive)club,about 200 members world wide(I think) I too am the owner of a Classic,(029)and I love it to bits!(the memsahib calls it "The Silver Mistress")I've had the bike from new(1989.but not regestered till '99)and covered 59,000+miles and counting,not trouble free I hasten to add,but by and large very reliable.Have fun and ride safe,J.B.
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Thank you. Very excited to be "in the club". I have been chasing this bike for 12 years, now I finally have it. Looking forward to showing it off when I get it back together.Jeff
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jeff mcCoy wrote:do you think this person would be agreeable to having contact? Jeff
Jeff,Yes, very much so!I sent you a PM with his cell phone number and told Steve that you will call him.Rgds,R.