Hello I'm a new member, trying to take the rot out of rotary

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
Janski

Hello I'm a new member, trying to take the rot out of rotary

Post by Janski »

I'll keep it simple. I fancied a project (retired), and memories of the Suzuki RE 5 kept occuring with offerings on ebay reinforcing them. Must have had one too many distilled products, and out bid everyone for a US imported 1975 RE 5 M. Looking over this bike there are quite a few parts to replace/missing, although much of this bike appears to be good. My question is, where do I source parts such as indicators, and the flip up cover for the instument cluster? I really hope to restore this classic, give me something very different to ride with my fellow bikers.
Charles Wilson

Re: Hello I'm a new member, trying to take the rot out of ro

Post by Charles Wilson »

Welcome!It's a bit of a "Good News--Bad News" situation.Good News: Most of the parts are out there, although things like "turn indicators" were 1975 RE-5 specific and MUCH harder to find.Bad News: Jess Stockwell ran Rotary Recycle out of Tullahoma, Tennessee - until a coupla' months ago. He closed it down.He did introduce some duplicate parts at great expense but his Console Flip Top thingie is first rate. The plastic is UV light resistant with better quality all around and it is a straight bolt on. There are some pieces available on E-Bay.http://re5rotary.proboards.com/Register, introduce yourself and start posting. It is a very friendly Group, sorta' like this one.The RE-5 was designed using a Template from NSU. The carburetor is a Solex design, licensed to Mikuni and diaphragms are available from sources. The bike itself is very sturdy. I know. It was my only transportation for about 8 years and I still await a knock on the door from a constable demanding my arrest on charges of Bike Abuse. "...And yet, it moves".As always, keep us updated and congratulations.CW
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Welcome to the club Very Happy,and "Happy Hunting" for you bits,J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi JanskiWhere in the world are you?What sort of bits are you after?David
Janski

Post by Janski »

kanonkopdrinker wrote:Hi JanskiWhere in the world are you?What sort of bits are you after?David
Hello David, I exist in a well known village called Holmfirth (Last of the summer wine) West Yorkshire.The observable parts I require are the globe type indicators, flip up instrument cover, oil cooler protector, right side cover (blue), mirrors, and connectors for the main wiring loom. Some bits are missing off the carb but I believe parts are available off Solex carbs. I think this is a start to a love hate project that would, I realy hope, get it back onto the Queen's highway.Regards, Jan.
Janski

Post by Janski »

johnbirchjar wrote:Welcome to the club Very Happy,and "Happy Hunting" for you bits,J.B.
Thanks J.B. The hunt is already on, or "The game is afoot" (or 300mm). I just hope it doesn't take the rest of my years searching. Must be a lot of competition for the RE5 bits.Regards, Janski.