Sachs KM37

smenkhare

Sachs KM37

Post by smenkhare »

Hi, guys,I might have sold my bikes but I'm not yet dead to the Wankel world! I visited the great Nuenen Stationary Engine festival in the Netherlands last Sunday and was pleased to get my hands on a Sachs KM37, which was the very first air-cooled production rotary. My problem is finding documentation on the engine. The speed governor does not seem to be working properly and I need to get at the mechanism to repair it (with the minimum of dismantling, of course). Do any of you have experience of this nice little engine? Or any documentation?David, are you coming over to Germany this year? If so, we would be delighted to see you and the others again.Best wishes to all,Jim Ashton.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Sachs KM37

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi Jim,Good to hear from you again.I will 'PM' you Heiner Brinkmann's address ... he should be able to put you right.I am afraid that's a no to Germany this year .... at least on two wheels; their Treffen co-incides with our 30th Anniversary .... well actually, their meeting is tagged onto the NSU Club's do so it's not really their fault.Several of the German club will be in the UK for the ROC meeting I believe ... Hajo is here already!Cheers,David
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jim,I have an old photocopy of the F&S Repair Manual 4010.8 D-E-F, edition May 1975, for the KM37 and KM48 engine; there is a section detailing overhaul and adjustment of both types of governor. Total 76 pages, in German, English, and French.I can copy it if you can't find an original.Norton made 500 of the KM48 core engine under contract to Thorn-EMI. That company had a military contract to manufacture a mobile radar system called Cymbelline. I don't think they made many complete systems and, last I heard, Thorn-EMI still had several hundred unused engines in their original packaging from Norton. The KM37 was 106cc, producing maximum 5.5 bhp at 4,900, the KM48 was 160cc giving 8 bhp at 4,800.Norton went on to develop the 208cc NR731 drone engine, loosely based on the KM48, which gave a maximum 38 bhp at, I think, 10,000.As that output suggests, it was a bit of a grenade, and the in-house joke was that it was guaranteed for two flights or two hours, whichever came first.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I trained on Cymbeline as one of my first Radar jobs while I was in the REME as a Radar Tech at one of my Postings.Funny I cant remember a rotary engine but then again those years are a long way away red face
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Do I remember a generator we called a screamer?
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Paul,The generator was in a separate box, about 2'6" long (old school) x 2' square. Painted green with a pull-start handle at one end.Norton had a complete one connected to a resistance load, and used it to test run every one of the 500 engines.I doubt you'd know it was a rotary engine as it was buried inside fan cowlings and the sound-reducing box.R.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yes Richard that is what I remembered we called them screamers as they used to do our heads in after a few hours exclaim exclaim and you are right we never really knew what was in them as we exchanged them as a pack if they failed.
smenkhare

Post by smenkhare »

Richard Negus wrote:Jim,I have an old photocopy of the F&S Repair Manual 4010.8 D-E-F, edition May 1975, for the KM37 and KM48 engine; there is a section detailing overhaul and adjustment of both types of governor. Total 76 pages, in German, English, and French.I can copy it if you can't find an original.Norton made 500 of the KM48 core engine under contract to Thorn-EMI. That company had a military contract to manufacture a mobile radar system called Cymbelline. I don't think they made many complete systems and, last I heard, Thorn-EMI still had several hundred unused engines in their original packaging from Norton. The KM37 was 106cc, producing maximum 5.5 bhp at 4,900, the KM48 was 160cc giving 8 bhp at 4,800.Norton went on to develop the 208cc NR731 drone engine, loosely based on the KM48, which gave a maximum 38 bhp at, I think, 10,000.As that output suggests, it was a bit of a grenade, and the in-house joke was that it was guaranteed for two flights or two hours, whichever came first.R.
Hello, Richard,I have only found one copy of this manual, in the US, and nothing will convince him to send it to Europe, so I would be eternally grateful if you could send me a copy. Please let me know me what your expenses are and I shall reimburse you (Paypal?).My address is:Jim Ashton,9,Cité de L'Usine,L-8450 Steinfort,Luxembourg.It is most interesting to read the comments about this engine, I was unaware that it had found its way in various configurations to England. I believe that it had a short life in Germany, being replaced wihin a year by the KM48. I can imagine that the drone engine was rather short lived at 10000 RPM, I took mine to an engine rally and was asked to stop it because the noise was excessive (at about 2000RPM).I could have bought the KM48 at the same time that I bought mine but he was asking 450 Euros which I thought was a bit excessive.Greetings to all you Wanklers,Jim.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

[quote="smenkhare]I can imagine that the drone engine was rather short lived at 10000 RPM,The factory joke was the drone engine had a warranty of six hours, or two flights, whichever came first. It relied on flying at around 300mph for a flow of ram air to cool the rotor and spread the oil. Once started, they had to be catapult-launched within 20 seconds or the engine cremated itself. I believe current versions of that engine are much more sohisticated, and have a belt-driven fan to provide rotor cooling air. I took mine to an engine rally and was asked to stop it because the noise was excessive (at about 2000RPM).I can well believe that; the drone had a very short exhaust stub and no silencer; very noisy even outside the test cell.quote]I'll copy the manual and post the copy to you; paypal ok.Rgds,R.
FloridaMike

Post by FloridaMike »

Can I get on the list for a copy of the manual as well? I don't have a KM37, but I think the manual would be an important addition to my reference library. Please PM me for mailing information, and I'd be more than glad to pay copying costs and postage!Best Regards,FloridaMike
smenkhare

Post by smenkhare »

Thanks a million, Richard, As soon it arrives I'll get the money off to you. What is your Paypal address?I just bought a brand new pull start mechanism in Germany, mine has worn shoes.All the best,Jim.
smenkhare

Post by smenkhare »

Hi, Richard,The manual arrived this morning and I'm delighted with it!I've sent the agreed sum to you together with a bit to cover your copying costs. Thanks a million,Jim.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jim,You're welcome!R.