Battery warning

bodgerbloke52

Battery warning

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Bought a pair of YB14L-A2 batteries for my recently resurected Commander off some outfit called BATTERY GEEK. These crooks list these units on thier profesinal looking web site as GEL type unspilable. 62 miles into first ride acid piddling out of both batteries. It seems they are standard lead acid that have been sealed. Soon as they take charge, pressure builds up to force acid out at the terminals. Four emails to BG all ignored, phone calls never answered or returned. No country of origin on the batteries but they are marked as UP-Universal Power.Avoid these batteries and the crooked merchant.Roger
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Battery warning

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Sorry to read that Roger ....As it happens, the ROC has just restocked with new dry Varta batteries for the RE5s & Van Veens; the DKW/Hercules W2000s; and all the rotary Nortons.Exact prices have yet to be worked out - but they are all to hand at Chelmsford.Varta have also introduced a 'GEL' type battery (so far only for the W2000) but at over 100 Pounds Sterling each (TRADE!!!) I cannot see too many customers beating a path to my door for one.David
graham

Post by graham »

Hello Roger,I'd be interested to know a little more about the batteries you've bought:YB is short for Yuasa Battery and 14L-A2 refers to the amperage, dimensions and terminal layout.The YB14L-A2 is a normal unsealed lead acid battery with a breather tube. If it is indeed a sealed battery with the same dimensions it's not one I know about and I've been trying to find one for ages! . Any chance of adding a picture? If the batteries are 'boiling' it might be worth checking the voltage when the bike is running just in case your regulator/rectifier is failing.Graham
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Hello GrahamHere a couple of photos. Yes I suspected overcharging so checked, it is spot on. The one photo shows acid still running down the side from the terminal after three weeks sat on the shelf. The other one only leaks when on a trickle charger or the bike. It comes out of the joint where the battery top section is joined to the main case. I put in a fraud report to ebay. Just did a search but find no listing so he may have been knobled by ebay?? Another issue was that my pay pal payment went to some outfit called 1st Web Sales LLC.I now have fitted one Odysey on the right and will install a extra oil can on the left battery tray because of the big milages over here.Roger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
graham

Post by graham »

Many thanks for the images and the warning!! The batteries look good!!I guess there's good and bad coming out of China. I wonder if they're designed for a much lower discharge rate application like an alarm or something.Chinese companies come in for a lot of stick but in my opinion, it's often the local distributor or wholesaler who goes for the very cheapest option, or just doesn't understand. John Nettleship is local to me, he uses a single Odysey battery on his Commander and is very impressed. I hope you have the same experience.The search continues for a really good CB14L-A2 replacement.GrahamGraham.