Good evening

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
pantherista588

Good evening

Post by pantherista588 »

Hi all, lovely to be able to join the forum.
I have had 3 Norton Interploddys and loved riding all of them for not an inconsiderable mileage. The last one I bought from damned ebay still had all the bells and whistles on it from the RMP in Cyprus. Now then, before I bought it, I asked the gent who I eventually purchased it from, what oil did he use in the mixing tank. He said Morris straight 40 Golden Film. In all of mine, I have only ever used Rotella 40. So... has anybody used this Morris straight 40 with any nasty side effects, I know it is a good oil as I sell loads of it but in a rotary? Thanks for your thoughts
johnbirchjar

Re: Good evening

Post by johnbirchjar »

I seem to remember some time back that someone mentioned that they used Morisons single grade oil in their Commander(I think)sorry I can't be more specific,but to be safe,stick with Rotella 40 Very Happy, unless you wish to go for the better( but more expensive wink) synthetic 2T?the choice is yours,SVF,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

The oil must be low ash, I use Castrol Tection DD40, Shell Rotella 40 is recommended, some Rotary owners use a Silkolene oil

I suspect if Morris straight 40 Golden Film was used it would carbon up very quickly

Tony
Gerald Pleace

Post by Gerald Pleace »

<t>Hello All,<br/>
I have been using Morris Golden Film Ring Free XHD40 since I bought the Commander in 1990. I have had no issues arising from the use of this oil and intend to keep on using it as I have been given a barrel of the stuff which will keep me going for the foreseeable future if you do have XHD40 you should be alright.<br/>
Gerald</t>
pantherista588

Post by pantherista588 »

Thanks for all your inputs. I think I will drain the tank and refill with Rotella, Is it better to drain from the oil pump or is there an easier place?
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I am 99% sure in saying that unless the existing oil is the Silkoline 2T,all the other mono-grade oils mentioned mix without a problem smiley,J.B.
pantherista588

Post by pantherista588 »

OK that's excellent news, thank you John