Classic engine back in

johnbirchjar

Classic engine back in

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I have "Sorned" the Classic and will take the Commander engine out over the coming weeks and put the rebuilt Classic engine back in,I will report anon,ride safe,J.B.
Assen

Re: Classic engine back in

Post by Assen »

Hi John,
Could you get all the parts needed for a rebuild? I thought certain parts like the Rotor Bearings are out of stock?

Regards, Jannes
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The guy that did the rebuild(over two years ago now)managed to find some from somewhere wink,along with Rotor Tips,Apex Seals,(and just about everything else that needed re-newing for a compleat engine rebuild cool,)but like I said,that was over two years ago,and bearings and things were still available.J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The engine removal is taking a while ('cos I am suffering with p**y Sciatica evil)and I can only spend between 1&2hrs a day on it,but I will plod on,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

As promised, an ongoing report.The Commander engine has now been removed and the actual Classic engine is now in the frame cool,now comes the technical bit,adding all the ancillary bits that actually make the engine run,I will report on my progress,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Well its all done and dusted,except for a few "modifications" wink, the old girl is as she left the factory way back in 1988.
I havn't tried to start the engine 'cos I want to put a couple of hundred on the clock to bed in the re-built engine and fine-tune the carbs and seeing as

I am a bit of a fair-weather rider now I am in my advanced years,I will just continue to turn the engine over by hand every couple of times a month (just as I have done for the past two and a half years)and will wait untill the spring to do this,before putting the old girl up for sale.
I expect it will feel a bit odd riding the bike "naked"after all those years(about 13,and about 50,00 thousand miles cool)being protected by the fairing,(bearing in mind the Honda has one too Very Happy)
Have a good christmas and ride safe in 2020,J.B.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi John,

A before and after picture of "the old girl" ?

Jannes
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I will wait a bit untill I am sure the "Gremlins"have been eliminated from our forum,then (hopefully wink)a friend of mine will do some pic's for me and put them on our forum(far to technical for this old biker smiley)have a good Christmas,ride safe in 2020,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Yep,they are on the agenda,have a good Christmas,ride safe in 2020,J.B,
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Before pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Before pictures with fairing fitted, sorry the previous two pictures were taken today so are "After photos"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Looks good. Out of interest, what make of tyres have you fitted?
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi John,

Without the fairing the old girl is prettier. She looks more like a "Classic" beauty.
Because i have a Classic i'm curious of what your askingprice is going to be? Just out of interest.
The Honda is staying?

Jannes
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

In reply to 2 posts (1)Tyres fitted are "Couger"
(2)Opinions vary as to how the bike looks ("con" fairing "sin" fairing wink)
I fitted the fairing way back in the early twenties(that sounds odd smiley) when I only had the one bike and did a fair amount of fast long-distance riding to rallies here and on the continent.
As long as I can still manage to ride a bike I will keep the Honda.
Still thinking about the asking price,will decide once the re-conditioned engine has done a couple of hundred miles and is running nicely,not just yet though,much to cold for this old biker,probably March/April time,ride safe,J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

A kwik "Thank You":

I may never get to own a Norton Rotary (I have SEEN one, coming within 6' of a Classic at a Ducati Shop years and years ago...), but I enjoy finding nice pictures and I now have a nice new Screen Saver.

THNX!

CW
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

They don't come up for sale very often,(especially Classics wink )so now you know of one that will be up for sale come the spring,think about it smiley,ride safe,J.B.