Classic on the bay

MikeBristol

Classic on the bay

Post by MikeBristol »

Nothing to do with me, but I see there's a Classic for sale on Ebay. Maybe someone knows the history? Mike
johnbirchjar

Re: Classic on the bay

Post by johnbirchjar »

Had a bit of a surf,couldn't find it,more info please smiley,J.B.
graham butterworth

Post by graham butterworth »

Just put in Norton Rotary
MikeBristol

Post by MikeBristol »

Bay item number:
Richard Negus

A very sad case

Post by Richard Negus »

This machine was originally purchased by The Patrick Collection for display in their museum in Birmingham.
The Museum had to close and the bike passed into private hands, although I'm not sure who the first 'private' owner was.

It was eventually acquired (at Bonham's Auction perhaps?) by Graham of Bideford. Graham had previously had a serious industrial head injury resulting in certain difficulties.

The bike had not been used for a long time before he bought it, so I was tasked with re-commissioning it. That investigation showed low compression so the engine was also rebuilt, but without molybdenum conversion. No cosmetic work was done. That was completed in April 2015 when the recorded mileage was 29,797.

Later that year, Graham was out riding his bike with a group of friends and was rear-ended by a careless van driver. I repaired it on behalf of his insurance company. That was in December 2015 when the mileage was 30,342.

Then the really sad bit - DVLA withdrew Graham's driving licence so he was unable to ride or drive.

I see the listing suggests ceramic apex seals; not so, I rebuilt it with its original cast iron seals in 2015.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!