Commander rear brake disc

paulwolf

Commander rear brake disc

Post by paulwolf »

Hl,I am looking for a rear vented brake disc (not scored) for a Commander.Thanks Paul
Richard Negus

Re: Commander rear brake disc

Post by Richard Negus »

You're unlikely to find a new genuine Yamaha vented disc now, but there are a few used ones on eBay, mostly listed as XJ900 pre-Diversion.
Lot's of replacement new solid discs though.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
paulwolf

Post by paulwolf »

Hi Richard,Thanks for the reply and i will keep looking and with winter coming the bike will not be used a lot.Thanks Paul
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

You could always get a solid one and have holes drilled in it (like I did for the front ones on my Classic cool)J.B.
Assen

Post by Assen »

John, that is not a vented disc! A vented disc is cooled via the centre through fins.

Best, Jannes
paulwolf

Post by paulwolf »

I think i will stick with a vented disc as it does get a bit hot under there with the panniers on and the heat from the exhaust.Thanks Paul
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Does the rear disc get that hot on the Commander? I've only got the naked IP2 where the rear wheel is completely open, so if it sounds like a daft question my apologies.
For John's benefit, here is a vented disc next to a standard solid disc - these are car disc brakes though, the Yamaha ones are much, much thinner.
Vented disc.jpg
I think John was thinking of drilled discs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Paul,

I fitted a new rear disc to my Commander some time ago, see attached photo of the box the new disc came in and the disc as currently fitted.

I cover many thousands of miles, usually two up, on my Commander with no issues with the rear brake, FYI I use sintered pads.

The Yamaha XJ900F OEM parts as fitted to my Commander are replaced with parts from Yambits who I find carry in stock everything I need to keep me on the road.

Hope this helps
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks Jannes,(I now know the difference wink,)J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

You could try a front disc. I've had a standard front disc on for thousands of miles, without any problems. As long as you
check the brake pad thickness regularly.

My bike doesn't have rear panniers.

I've just checked my rear disc, to find that I have a LEFT front disc fitted. Must have been the only disc I had at the time!

John.
paulwolf

Post by paulwolf »

Hi Chaps,Thanks for all the reply's and after taking Richards advice and unblocking the small hole in the master cylinder the rear brake is running a lot cooler and if i cant find a decent vented disc i will get one that Tony suggested.Thanks Paul