Classic part

Assen

Classic part

Post by Assen »

Oh dear, i need something that is hard to get i think. A/N doesnt sell it.
As i'm changing my BSA Tornado in a Norton Classic again, the first thing i did is remove the plate with BSA-text on top of the handlebarclamp.
I was expecting a Norton plate under the BSA plate..no such luck. So i need a new Norton-logo-plate that goes on the handlebarclamp.
Rare as hen's teeth? Hope someone has such a plate or a idea to get one made? All help welcome!!

While dismanteling the bike to get it painted i found that the bike has no voltageregulator and no CDI-box....only loose wires....very odd.
I asked the seller to come up with the goods....perhaps the last owner send them in for checking by ???.

Groet, Jannes
Richard Negus

Re: Classic part

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Jannes,
That decal hasn't been available for a long time, although it's possible someone may have one.

If you do get the original Boyer ignition unit, throw it away and get a modern digital one from MiniMag - highly recommended.

The original Boyer voltage regulator has a brown/white (I think) lead for the generator warning light. If you don't really need that light, then almost any conventional 3-wire regulator off eBay will do the job very well. Choose one to match the 180W generator.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Assen

Post by Assen »

Thanks Richard,

I will will follow your advice!!

I found a a replacement Classic handlebar in the meantime. A bit wider but you can saw a little off can't you. Hight and bend seem exactly right!
Its sold in the Netherlands for 30 euro/27 pounds on the site "Japparts"
Model SR Custom.

Jannes
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Jannes,

It’s good to see you back on the forum and with a very nice Rotary Norton too.

I know of this bike. Shortly after the original owner died I had contact with the family, I am under the impression it comes with a lot of spares, I’ll dig out what details I have on this bike for you.

A couple of years ago whilst looking for Norton Decals for my Interpol 11, I came across a company on the interweb which appears to have something very similar. At the moment I can’t recall it’s name but it was in Europe rather than England. The site had hundreds of Decals for all makes and a huge section on Norton. Plus, I think whilst looking for something else a while ago I’m sure I came across a re-pro handlebar decal.

When we last spoke in person, a few years ago now you said you may move home. If your still at the same address then I do have it so I will post what I have to you.

Regards, Joe.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi Joe,

Nice to hear from you, and very friendly your offering. My home-adress is still the same. I got lucky and met the nicest girl in the Universe (ahum, sorry for that) and forgot everything about moving house since she moved in. I wanted a smaller house when i was alone, but now it fits. Except the garage, that seems to get smaller and smaller....

The seller of the bike said he is sending me the (all?) parts. Hope it is all and not just some.
All info very welcome!!

Thanks, Jannes
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Hi.
Found this, while browsing on E Bay. Is it any use to you? :-
Norton Rotary Sticker, item number 254234101698.

Geoff.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Thanks Geoff,

I've found it also!!
Joe Walker also came up with a site in UK who has the decalls for sale.
So, luckily they are around!!

Regrds, Jannes
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Jannes,Richards comment about the "Charging Light" is not to be taken lightly,'cos if the generator stops working(or the R/R isn't doing its job)one is unaware of the fact untill one has a flat battery exclaim (which has happened to me in the past on more than one occasion evil)hence the reason I fitted a Volt Metre Very Happy.ride safe,enjoy your Classic,(Iv'e had mine over 30 years,and still love that rotory howl that chimes in at over 5500 rpm cool)J.B.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi John,

As i'm allways for orginality with bikes and cars, i think i am going for the regulator from A/N. Safe bet i think. Although, having said that, with the CDI-unit i'm going for the Minimag, not original, but again a safe bet according to people who are in the know.
The more i speak with and read about people having difficulties with their bikes while out on them, the more i feel very lucky myself. I ride more than 40 years now on motorbikes, and i have been to most parts of Europe (not scandinavia) on a motorbike, and i have never ever had troubles with a bike on my journeys. Not even on my Commander and Interpol 2 i had back then (Graham and Richard know how to make a bike reliable)! So very lucky indeed. Funny thing is though, i always carry some spares and tools with me on a journey....
And, as my dad always said; leave well allone...

Regards, Jannes
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Jannes,
Take care - the regulator pictured by Andover doesn't appear to have a cable for the charging light, only three yellow a/c wires, a red and a black.
If you want to retain the charging light, Boyer still manufacture a version of the original Power Box. Search for PBOX00106 which is the negative earth version.
Having said that, there are many millions of bikes out there that manage very well without a charging light!
R.
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Jannes
As Richard says, charge warning lights no longer seem to be needed on bikes and as I have the Yamaha/Commander regulator-rectifier on my IP2 that does not have any warning light wire, I added one myself from this supplier:https://www.improvingclassicmotorcycles ... oducts.htm
It works well and the guy who does them is very helpful if you have any issues (like I have had with my charging, and still to be rectified - excuse the pun).
Cheers
Mar
Assen

Post by Assen »

I've contacted Boyer, and they still make and sell the Pbox00106. Delivered by post, the total sum would be 106 pounds. So i reckon the reg. is about a 100 pounds.
The A/N one is about 72 incl vat, but whitout the warninglight (thanks for that Richard!!)
Due to past experiences with Boyer on Meriden Triumphs, i''m not that keen on Boyers....
So what to do...
I do want a warninglight, although half of my bikes have a warninglight.....while the other half has not. Even my Nimbus from 1939 has a warninglight.
At least i've options, that is always good!!

Jannes
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jannes,
I share your reservations about Boyer ignition units, but haven't seen many problems with the Power Box.

The AN regulator is a typical Japanese/Chinese part where the only faults I've found have been in the wiring connections of the bike, particularly a bad earth connection.

On the MK3 Commando there is a warning light control unit, 06-6393, which senses when the generator is producing current and switches the warning light off. AN retail it at £15. Maybe a solution for you?
A caution though, the Commando was +ve earth and this control unit may not work with -ve earth of the Classic.
R.
mick695

Post by mick695 »

Hi Jannes

Try these guys, I've fitted a couple of their units to bikes I have.... including a Norton Rotary and they work great...

https://www.improvingclassicmotorcycles ... oducts.htm

Cheers

Mick
Assen

Post by Assen »

Thanks for the tip, Mick and Mar.
Its indeed a possibility!!

Jannes
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The jury is still out on why modern bikes do not fit a charging light(but cars still do wink)but like I said
previously (having been caught out more than once evil)either a light or a voltmetre is a must for me,J.B.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Jannes,

Whilst looking on the web site of “we buy any bike” where your Classic came from I looked at the Commander advert knowing that this also came from Bill and guess what? The handlebar Norton Decal from your bike is stuck to the fairing and clearly shown in the photos. So, did the other missing parts end up with this bike too? I think I have seen the new owner of Bill’s Commander on this R.O.C. site so we need to track him down. Come on, you know who you are. smiley

Kind regards, Joe.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi Joe,

It's Dean Harris, he kindly contacted me through the Forum to say he will send me some paperwork that by mistake is given to him instead of going with the Classic. I don't think Dean has parts of the Classic, otherwise he would have mentioned it. He just said paperwork. This will soon arrive i think, he should be back from his holiday by now Very Happy

Jannes
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have an original badge and a number of Classic parts including instrument consul and headlight surrounds.
I also have a NOS airbox coil cover.
Can't remember what else ....dooh..
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....