Capacitor wiring

Haggler

Capacitor wiring

Post by Haggler »

Hi could any one tell me where the capacitor connects to the loom and the wire colours. The one on mine was connected to a permanent live Brown/Blue and other side to earth through the frame. Surely this cannot be right as the stored voltage needs to go to the coils eventually doesn't it?
Please help as this is not shown on the wiring diagram for the bike and is confusing the wotsits out of me
Thank you smiley
Richard Negus

Re: Capacitor wiring

Post by Richard Negus »

'Morning,
You're talking about the big capacitor by the battery?
If so, it's nothing to do with the ignition system but was fitted to IP2 machines with police equipment to smooth out voltage fluctuations as, say, the air horns compressor was switched on. That sudden voltage drop was alleged to affect some ignition and radio systems. As you noted, it was connected in parallel with the battery and was always live. There was a Service Release in 1987 on this subject.
A secondary advantage was that it improved push-starting when the battery became flat if the blue lights had been left on at an incident.
For a conventional road bike, it's unnecessary IMHO, and a potential source of problems.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Haggler

Re: Capacitor wiring

Post by Haggler »

Thank you for that insight Richard, I will leave it off then. Think I am slowly making progress with the bike Very Happy