coils & condencers

johnbirchjar

coils & condencers

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,(I seem to have been down this road before evil)I am getting spark problems(again)I remember back in the day before Electronic Ignition it was quite common for the Condencer to pack up when it got warm,is there anyway to test the Condencer fitted to our Rotories using a Mini Metre?if so simple language please and the various little icons on the Mini Metre smiley,also, can the Coils be tested?(they must be at least well over 30 years old exclaim)
I seem to remember in the early part of last year(on this subject)Wayne said that the Condencer could be by-passed(or done away with altogether)but I can't remember how red face,I've been back over our forum but can't seem to find it,Wayne?rgds,J.B.
tim harrison

Re: coils & condencers

Post by tim harrison »

Hi John. The spark plugs are the first thing to check. Is it firing ok on one rotor? If so swap plug leads and plug to see if it fires on the other rotor. Does the Classic have a sidestandand cutout, if so check the wiring to that. If you have a spare electronic ignition swap it over. That after all is what generates the sparks.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks Tim,done all that,(Elec Ign checked over by Julian last year)that's why I want to run a check on coils & condencer,I have a spare Elec Ign,but C&C check easier is than swapping over Elc Ign wink,J.B.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello JB,

What exactly is the problem you are experiencing, are you sure its an ignition issue?

Ballast resistor is a usual suspect and can be bypassed by temporarily connecting together the two electrical terminals. This would usually manifest itself by only allowing the engine to run with the ignition button depressed but sometimes can also cause a missfire.

Alternatively check the fuel tap vacuum hose connection isn’t damaged. I think a Classic has a prime position which allows fuel to flow at all times.

Regards, Joe
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Joe,definitely a spark problem,always the o/s chamber,it just loves plugs!!!J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Further to the previous post,I've done away with the vacuum fuel system,its purely gravity fed now cool (I got fed up replacing diaframs being eaten by p**y ethanol evil)J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Yep,it seems like a plug problem,can we use other than NGK plugs?
A biker buddy of mine has no time for NGK's at all exclaim,but this is the first time I have had a serious problem in 60odd thousand miles,hopefully a "one-off".I will report anon.J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

I have always used NGK C8E or CR8E both work OK for me, the left hand rotor occasionally oils up, the last time it happened was queuing to join the Newcastle to Ijmuiden ferry, I limped on with quite a few back fires and just one rotor amazingly it got us up the ramp onto the mezzanine deck with both me, my wife and camping gear, I did not have time to change the plug immediately but sneaked down just before we set sail, I had just got it changed before nearly getting caught, happy days.

Tony