spark plug caps

nednortonrider

spark plug caps

Post by nednortonrider »

I am using a "minimag" ignition system on my interpol and have been advised to use 10 ohm resister plug caps. I ordered two but when they came they were 5 ohm . Phoned the bloke up and "nah , mate don't exist "!!!. I've seen them "on-line" but not the long straight ones i need.So , two questions ,

anyone know where i can get a pair ,and secondly What is the advantage ??
Richard Negus

Re: spark plug caps

Post by Richard Negus »

Following the man-who-knows (Julian Kemp), I bought a pair of 10 ohm straight caps from France via Ebay.
Reference is NGK SD10F, still available from France at £4.95 each.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Available in France(and on e-bay) Thats handy to know, I was looking for replacement ones some years back(a bit of an experiment I was conducting on the Classic wink)J.B.
nednortonrider

Post by nednortonrider »

Thanks , Ordered a pair from France (£13.35 inc P&P).Still wondering about the advantage of 10 ohm v 5 ohm. Come on you electrical boffins , i hate a mystery .
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

With the 10 ohm caps, you can then use copper cored HT lead instead of the usual resistive cable.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

A wise choice,in my experience the copper cable HT leads are vastly superior Very Happy,J.B.
nednortonrider

Post by nednortonrider »

My 10 Ohm plug caps arrived today .Fitted them and what a difference BLOODY AWFUL !!!!.Sod to start then backfired, sounded flat ,exhaust headers glowing red .Re-fitted the 5 Ohm plug caps and all OK !! I'm amazed a plug cap can make such a difference .Ho Hum ,we live and learn .
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

What plugs have you got in your bike?'cos I had the same symptoms when I tried plugs WITH suppressors(NGK C8CE I think as apposed to NGK C8E) )big mistake 'cos the plug CAPS have suppressors in them(this is on my Classic)J.B.
nednortonrider

Post by nednortonrider »

I've had problems with the "R" plugs so now only use C8's .Seems better with Lucas coils (instead of the Yamaha originals) , copper core HT leads ,5 Ohm plug caps ,and C8 plugs .