Wiring route

Mick Taylor

Wiring route

Post by Mick Taylor »

Having just refitted the right side carb to my Classic....and happily managed the fast idle rod clip at the second attempt Very Happy .....I came to refit the small black cover plate ...... directly underneath this plate is what looks like a temperature switch with two upright spade terminals. There is a short section of wiring harness here comprising two blue wires that go to the switch and a third green wire with a yellow tracer that goes to a bullet connector and disappears towards the rear of the engine.

When fitting this plate, the options seem to be, feed the harness down at the point directly above the fast idle rod where there is a ninety degree notch in the plate...in which instance it is routed around the edge of the plate which I don't like....and the wires (which are not sleeved at this point) are perilously close to the fast idle rod, but don't quite touch.....alternatively, it can be fed under the front edge of the cover plate where it will be pushed up against the engine fins.....and given the heat these engines can throw out, I'm not at all happy with that one either.

Before I drill a hole in the cover plate and run the wires through a rubber grommet out of harms way......I must be missing the blindingly obvious surely?

Mick.
Mick Taylor

Re: Wiring route

Post by Mick Taylor »

Found it......(obvious once you spot it) a little cut out just underneath the mounting bolt, routes the wires away from harm nicely...... I still wish they were sleeved at the point where they pass the metal cover plate......but problem solved in any event.

Mick.