Fuse Block

johnbirchjar

Fuse Block

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,just a bit of a "Heads Up" for IP2&Classic owners.If your bike starts to develop charging probs; check the Fuse Block,(It tends to develop a fault and melt fuses evil) I have just had to replace mine on the Classic.This is the 2nd time,the first was way back in June 0-12 at 50,070 miles,and now again at 65,382.
An exact replica is available from Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd:Tel.0115 9305454.pt/NoFHA40 for the princely sum of six and a half quid(inc Vat & postage Very Happy)ride safe,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Re: Fuse Block

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

Thanks for the post good info for the future

Tony
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

I replaced mine on my IP2 as the original exposed ceramic fuses were a bit loose and they had no cover. As John says, the Vehicle Wiring Products fuse box is a straight swap with the advantage of modern blade fuses.
At the same time, I wired my rectifier/voltage regulator (from the Commander/Yamaha XJ900) into the fuse box, as it was previously wired straight onto the battery.
Rectfier alternator and fusebox.jpg

I also took the opportunity of fitting a charge warning light, as the Yamaha regulator has no feed for this. So far, there have been no charging issues, though it is interesting to see how often the charging reaches its limits, which I can now instantly see with the LED charging light.
If anyone is interested, you can get this high-tech charging light from here:https://www.improvingclassicmotorcycles ... oducts.htm
Cheers
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

It's a funny old world wink.Mark changed his charging wires for his Reg/Rec from,"Direct to the Battery,"too,"Through the Bike Loom",while I did the exact opposit (following a suggestion by one Mr.R.Negus Esq:)
I didn't fit a "Charging Light" I fitted a Volt Metre,(much more info,like, exactly how many volts are getting to/from the battery)I will admit though,not quite as aesthetic as a nice neat little red window wink.
Which made me think of way back in the past when Oil pressure lights were green,and went out at about 5psi,the engine needed about 25/30 psi,so if the light flickered on it was too late, your engine was s****d,so an oil pressure gauge was the way to go Very Happy.rgds,J.B
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

An exact replica is available from Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd:Tel.0115 9305454.pt/NoFHA40 for the princely sum of six and a half quid(inc Vat & postage Very Happy)
This is just the sort of thing that is so helpful as some parts are in short supply. I'm sure there would be some mileage in creating a list of readily available substitute parts as many of them will be far from obvious....this being a perfect example.

I recall something about a KTM brake light switch being a direct substitute for the Norton part.....naturally I can't remember the details, but if we had a list.......

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The rear brake light switch from the KTM will do a fine job on the FRONT brake light switch on IP2's and Classics Very Happy(I know 'cos I fitted one years ago,and it still works just fine)and as you suggest,a list of such items would be very handy,perhaps we could have a separate section for just that? cool,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

The rear KTM brake switch replaces the rear stop switch of IP2's and Classics.
It will also replace the rear master cylinder bolt of Commanders and F1's for those who have a dicky original Yamaha switch.
In either case, choose the KTM switch with two wires; loads on Ebay now.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

Hmm....there are lots for sale....quite a few versions too.

This is a two wire pattern part......is this the one Richard?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-300EXC-E ... xygPtSwB2N

It seems worth having one just in case..

Any other suggestions for readily available substitute parts? I guess we all know, Yamaha switchgear from the XS range (will require modification of the connector block)....likewise Yamaha handlebar grips, Yamaha FZ750 indicators for the front of the Classic.

Venhill sell numerous versions of this part which on the face of it could be adapted to repair or replace a failed temperature sensor.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-amp-co ... 00-42.html

Any more?......knowledge of any cables that work would be good.

Mick.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Mick Taylor wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:52 am
This is a two wire pattern part......is this the one Richard?
That'll do the job; a longer cable allows you to put the connection in a drier place

It seems worth having one just in case..

Venhill sell numerous versions of this part which on the face of it could be adapted to repair or replace a failed temperature sensor.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-amp-co ... 00-42.html
That's an M8 thread whereas the Norton part is M6. The usual failure is the brass bit which seizes in the housing and snaps off when you try to remove it. Both housings have the same M6 hole just above the spark plug. The length of the thermocouple wire is not critical so a broken wire can be repaired by silver soldering.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

That's an M8 thread whereas the Norton part is M6.
Sorry, that was just me being lazy, when I looked at these a while back they did lots of variations of this fitting in stainless, possibly brass etc, I suspect they will have an M6 version.

Mick.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

"Cornish Motorcycle Spares" in Plymouth,also supply "pattern" front indicators for Classics,J.B.