Master Cylinder

johnbirchjar

Master Cylinder

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,the Front Brake Master Cylinder on my Classic has sprung a leak evil,It isn't leaking from the filler so I assume it's from the piston?
Is there a repair kit?or will I have to replace the whole cylinder?
My Classic Parts Manuel has the part No for the round model,but sod's law dictates that my bike is fitted with square/oblong model smiley,so if someone has the part No for the latter please do tell.
Bearing in mind that the stock from A/N may be a tad long in the tooth wink,does anyone know of a more modern bike that uses the same system?Thank you in advance,ride safe,J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Master Cylinder

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Without any real knowledge John, I would hazard a guess that it might be a Yamaha item?

David
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

JB,
It's a Yamaha part fitted to various models of 1988'ish era, including FZ750, FXR1000, etc..
Kits are available on Ebay, but beware of the 'Tourmax' branded ones as the secondary rubber seal is not correct and could pose a hazard.
The genuine item has Yamaha part number 36Y.W0041.00, is usually available from Andover, and occasionally on Ebay.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that Richard,I will contact A/N tomorrow,rgds,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

I purchased an overhaul kit from Yambits:

1 x XJ900F Brake Master Cylinder Repair Kit Front (MSK016) = £46.99 (Inc. VAT)
£39.16 (Ex. VAT)

I note that Andover lists the seal kit-master cylinder as out of stock, try calling them as they might get a kit in for you if you do not fancy going to Yambits.

Hope this helps
Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Tony,phoned A/N this morning and repair kit is on it's way e'en as we speak Very Happy,ride safe,J.B.