Classic

gasehound

Classic

Post by gasehound »

I am starting a winter project to turn my standard ip2 into a classici will need a tank ,dual seat,clocks etc,plus any help and advice from anyone who has already done this ,plus if you can help with the parts requiredregards Steve.
rustynuts

Re: Classic

Post by rustynuts »

If you ever find a second hand classic tank for sale, buy a lottery ticket because luck will be shining on you.I have thought about converting mine and have inquired and kept a look out for several years but have not found one. Your only realistic option is to have one fabricated, which is possible, if expensive. Side panels and tailpiece are available from Startright. I have been told Andover Norton has a small stock of original speedos.Happy hunting!
gripper

Post by gripper »

A Commando tank fits with a bit of work and looks good IMO
gasehound

Post by gasehound »

Thanks for the replies,will get some prices for fabrication and let the forum knowwhich commando tank would suit ?,also anywhere for seat covers.many thanks Steve.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Steve,Welcome to the Forum, you certainly are taking on a challenge!Starting from the front:.headlamp mount bits are all available.standard speedo available.fuel tank is a major challenge, expect to pay around £700 for a good replica, unpainted..air filter side panels available, unpainted.seat base is another major challenge; no tooling exists.side panels both available, unpainted.rear lamp assembly; no moulding or lenses available.grab rail and support availableIf you don't want to make an exact Classic replica, then it becomes much easier as Norton made several prototypes that employed the tank later used on the IP2. That tank/seat/side panels and rear light were designed by William "straight-line" Towns of Lagonda fame and combined with the Aurora headlamp arrangement to produce this:
3006-68.jpg
The IP2 then appeared, an adaptation of the above, followed by the Classic which had a new handlebar, fuel tank, seat, side panels and wiring loom, everything else coming from the parts bins.
LE035-37.jpg
Going back even further, you could attempt an Aurora (styled by Mick Ofield); slightly easier than a Classic in my opinion, as several of the fuel tanks were 'saved for posterity' by Norton staff members rather than allow them to be scrapped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Steve,Rob Rendle and i'm sure many others fitted the interstate tank and interstate duel seat to his IP2 and it looks quite nice.Russ
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
gasehound

Post by gasehound »

Hi Russ, i can see the similar shape in the tank,and modify the seat a littleyes it may look good,what about the rear light set up,maybe use something from a 1980s Yamaha same for the clocks and headlight,the rest of the bike looks similarengine frame wheels brakes etc.thanks to the rotary members for your helpregards Steve.
gripper

Post by gripper »

I thought of converting my IP2 into a Classic for about a millisecond then woke up and smelt the coffe. I've got a 5 gallon tank, always handy on a rotary, flat steel, good for magnetic tank bags and standing on when you need to see over something and the airbox side panel matches the bottom line of the tank unlike the classic which is a totally different shape. It looks like it was designed for another bike. Dave Green's Commando Rotary gets my vote for the best looking Rotary. It looks like it was meant to be.
gasehound

Post by gasehound »

Hi Gripper,maybe your right i should wake up,however i have a new ally in my quest Richard Negus and i believe he will help me produce an aurora/classic that is within my reach he has already provided a lot of help and pictures plus a reasonable view of what may be achieved.i thank you for that Richard.regards to all members you have all been so helpfullSteve.