Details of mid 70's DKW W 2000

RAMFIRE

Details of mid 70's DKW W 2000

Post by RAMFIRE »

Please forgive my intrusion into your club as I am not a member nor am I a rotary owner. However, I have been given the opportunity to purchase a mid 1970's DKW W 2000 and I must confess that other than having had a look at the bike, I know nothing about it. Would someone have any relevant details on this bike eg general history, reliability, engine details etc as well as a general guide to likely cost. The bike looks to be in reasonable trim with a little surface rust evident. It has been idle for about 20 years. That being the case, what am I likely to find on the inside?Thank you in anticipation of a reply.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

W2000

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

All W2000s were built over a 13 month period from Oct 1974 to Nov 1975 though some bear a much later build plate; this was because these were added as the machines were sent out to from the factory - up to 3 or 4 years later - or so Hercules GmbH told me. A total production figure was given of 1,784 machines of which 639 had a separate oil tank.Where in the world are you? I would guess either UK, South Africa or Australia given that it is badged as a DKW rather than a Hercules?Things to look for .... does it start? Have you ever heard one run before? It might be worth finding someone who has experience of a W2000 to listen to it because the engine will sound quite noisy and it pays to know what is normal noise or the sound of something more serious.Has it been run using suitable oil? Rotaries are most particular about oil and will not be happy with just any old multigrade!The most recent one sold in the UK which was a nicely restored example went for around £3500 I believe.
RAMFIRE

DKW W 2000

Post by RAMFIRE »

Thank you for that information K'drinker. I am in the UK and no, I have never heard one of these running. I have been assured that it was in perfect condition when it was put away and that only the best rotary engine oil has been used. I would trust the source of that info. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.