Commander Gearbox Wanted

Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Commander Gearbox Wanted

Post by Anthony Duffield »

I am looking for a gearbox for my 1990 water cooled Commander, any condition considered as long as it is all there.Tony
johnbirchjar

Re: Commander Gearbox Wanted

Post by johnbirchjar »

Nova Enginering in Sussex will make you one,(I was quoted about two and a half grand for one about seven years ago,they were in Petrborough then)The August edition of "Classic Bike" did a lengthy article on them,very interesting it was too.rgds,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

John,Thanks for the reply, I read the article very interesting and good that high quality engineering is still being practised in the UK.I was hoping to find a used but good gearbox that I could fettle over the winter, my gearbox is ok but sounds very agricultural, but from what I have read and been told they all sound the same.Thanks AgainTony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

You can "fettle" all you wan't,the gearbox will still be "agricultural"( we Norton rotary owners learn to live with it, evil ),the upside is that they very rarely let us down smiley,J.B.
commando-rotary

Post by commando-rotary »

on a recent vmcc week my ip2 gearbox was noisier than ever and was a bit worrying upon myreturn engine out gearbox stripped could find no issues replaced seals etc as a precaution. in the meantime was recommended a transmission oil by redline sold by demon tweaks I went for their 75/250 grade, I cannot recommend it enough my gearbox is now totally silent. so next up commando gearbox oil change as that is sometimes a little noisy. it is expensive at £18,60 a litre but if it makes the gearbox that quiet it must be lubing it much better. regards DG
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Sounds like the answer to our noisy gearboxes,has anybody else tried this magical oil?J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

J.B.Perhaps this should migrate to technical? in any case thank you for your input which is greatly appreciated.My gearbox rattles when in neutral and in gear with the clutch pulled in it becomes less quiet when taking up drive and whines in all gears except fifth.Regarding oil; I use the grade as originally recommended I would consider using the Redline 75/250 oil and having read various threads on various forums it would seem to be the answer to noisy gearboxes, DG seems to think it is ok so perhaps worth a try.Many thanksTony