rear and front light indicator lense for a Classic wanted

Robert14

rear and front light indicator lense for a Classic wanted

Post by Robert14 »

Hello,I`m still seeking for a rear and front light indicator lense for a Classic.I called Startright, Norton and a few others, but they seems to be very rare?RegardsRobert
Richard Negus

Re: rear and front light indicator lense for a Classic wanted

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Robert,Front indicator lens is a Yamaha part and available either as a genuine part or a cheaper replica.Rear lens was made by an English company L E Perei, no longer in business. To the best of my knowledge, no new ones are available although some Classic owners may have their own private stock.I don't think it was made just for Norton, so it is possible it was used on another vehicle of that time.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Is it possible to have them copied as all Classic owners may want to chip in and get some made?
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Robert14

Post by Robert14 »

@RichardThank`s for your postingThe front ones are on Ebay@Interpola good idea -> I would buy a set of them
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have contacted a well know local Injection moulding company, lets see what they say smiley
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

This is the reply I got, so I think this is a NO..!!You will need to have a mould tool manufactured app.£3,000!
commando-rotary

Post by commando-rotary »

that is very little money for an injection mould tool i am afraid paul especialy for a lens.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

For the limited number that might actually be paid for, CNC machining from solid coloured acrylic sounds a better option. The lenses don't need to have the various texts and numbers on the outside nor the diamond finish on the inside.The process of 'growing' a solid model using a laser in a resin solution (photo-lithography ?) is another option; who knows anything about that?
Robert14

Post by Robert14 »

Hello Richard,a good idea!I posted it in a very activ Austrian Bike (Puch) Forum.Let`s wait and see. Perhaps we are lucky?RegardsRobert
Robert14

Post by Robert14 »

Hello,@rear indicator lensewe discussed it in the Austrian Forum.A possible way could be 3D printing.I phoned a 3D printing company and asked for the prices.150.- € to scan it~ 50 - 100.- € to print each lenseI`ll try it and will post the results in 2 - 4 weeks.front idicator lenseI found indicator lenses for a Yamaha XJ900 on Ebay for ~5.-€A complete indicator for ~ 20.-€It seems they are the same as the Classic indicators?I`will buy one and post the results too!RegardsRobert
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Way back in September of '09 I purchased a couple of front indicators(compleat)for £30-00 from Cornish Motor Cycle Spares.I expect they are coppies but they look ok to me,rgds,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Re the previous posting,I compaired them to the orriginal and could not spot a differance.J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

They are not quite the same as the original Yamaha part..the approvals lettering is different, not important.the lens colour of some is slightly different, not important.the material is more brittle, and the boss where the self-tapping screw fits can break off if overtightened (been there, done that twice).genuine ones are left and right handed, replicas are all one hand (that I've seen so far)For all practical purposes, they do the job at a fraction of the cost, and help keep Felixstowe Container Terminal and the Yang Ming line in business.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

I posed the question of 3D printing to my brther-in-law who seems to know about these things ..... and here's his reply ....-------------------------------------------------------Hi Dave!The only place I've used is Shapeways:http://www.shapeways.com/http://www.sha ... al-options Their transparent material costs about one pound fifty per cubic centimetre, but it looks a bit "milky" due to the way that the material is deposited.If you have a good surviving lens, I'd be tempted to look at making a rubber mould and getting it cast in water-clear resin or acrylic, craft shops seem to offer kits - but it's not something I've ever tried.Solidifying resin in a tank using a laser might give better clarity - the keyword to search for is probably "photopolymer" - but again, it's not something I've used (Shapeways don't offer photopolymer as an option)I'm probably about two or three years out of date with all this stuff! :)Eric
johnbirchjar

Re: rear and front light indicator lense for a Classic wante

Post by johnbirchjar »

So unless someone comes up with an alternative?CMSS in Cornwall for me Very Happy(Hopefully I won't need them to often wink)J.B.