Interpol/Classic wiring harness multi-pin plugs

Howell

Interpol/Classic wiring harness multi-pin plugs

Post by Howell »

Help! Does anyone have a 9 pin connector plug which connects the harness to the instrument cluster? (Femail sockets, the harness part.) I am one short of completing a re-wire, and would prefer a red one, but a white one will do. I would be very grateful to find one. Please contact me with price & postage cost if you can help. Regards,Howell
JohnOR

Re: Interpol/Classic wiring harness multi-pin plugs

Post by JohnOR »

Hi HowelNot sure if these are the same but they looked similar to me (was thinking of a rewire myself not got round to it yet)http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... ate-N-Lock connectors[http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... o/mnl6.jpg]Regards John
Howell

Post by Howell »

Thanks for the info John, I will check these out and let you know if they are the same.Regards,Howell
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Howell, A few years ago I purchased both male and female connectors to replace the corroded ones on my bike. I'm sure I bought them from V.W.P because thats where I usually shop but they have a "Durite" label on the box and they're actually made by AMP.... When I get home tomorrow morning I'll dig out the packs and forward the part numbers..... The terminals are very easily removed from the housing with a small screw driver (or the correct removal tool) by inserting the screw driver (or tool) into the terminal block at the opposite end to the wire and bending back the retaining tab allowing the terminal to just pull out cable end first. The female and male terminals shown in V.W.P., parts No. 00515 & 00510 respectively, do look the same. I hope this helps. Kind regards, Joe.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

If anyone finds a source for the female brass terminal, I'd be very interested in several hundred.VWP don't even list it any more, Durite have no stock and say they're looking for a new supplier.I guess the male pin will shortly become unavailable too.Being an optimist, I bought a 100 box of sockets from a different supplier "Yes Sir, directly interchangeable with the AMP item"; no way!
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Howell

Post by Howell »

Oh B*****! If you are having trouble sourcing these Richard, then this could be tricky. I thought the connectors currently on VWP's site look different. The femail terminals shown are only 2mm diam, as well Joe. I have ordered a couple of connectors with terminals to see if it will do the job if all else fails. I was hoping someone would have a connector in their spares stash - I have rescued the femail terminals from an old connector, and just need the plastic bit for the harness end. The crimps can be opened carefully with an instrument driver, with only a moderate amount of blood spilt, it must be said, and the wires soldered on.Thanks again for your information and efforts to help.Howe
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Howell,In my "it-might-come-in-useful-someday" bin, I've got both red and white square 9-way socket housings.You still need ? I can post tomorrow.R.
Howell

Post by Howell »

Richard, Yes Please! It would really save the day. I just need the red one - Thanks very much indeed.Regards,Howell
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Howell, I'm sorry but I forgot to look for the part No. today. After a very busy night shift and having to stay on late for the next shift I spent most of the day asleep. I'll try again tomorrow. Regards, Joe.
Howell

Post by Howell »

No problem Joe, I think my problem is solved thanks to Richard. Thank you once again. I have attached a scanned image of a Rotary decal that may be useful to other members.Regards,Howell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Howell,Red socket housing is in today's post to you.The 'missing' socket terminal is Durite ref 00514; this is 3 mm diameter and no longer listed by VWPTheir 00515 is 2.5 mm diameter; anyone care to buy some and see if they can be persuaded to do the job Very Happy ?
Howell

Post by Howell »

Thanks Richard,I have ordered both halves plus terminals, and would have had to change the instrument cluster half as well (as a last resort) - if you hadn't helped me out.Regards,Howell
JohnOR

Post by JohnOR »

Hi Richard,Howell Does anyone have the size of these connectors to hand as "RS Components" lists "TE Connectivity MATE-N-LOK" which in an older catalogue were made by AMP. RS stock no.132-1542 for 9 way plug housingRS stock no. 849-108 socket insertRS stock no. 849-085 pin insertare these similarRegards John
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Howell, The Durite terminal No.'s are; 0-005-10 for the 3mm Male pin. 0-005-14 for the 3mm Female socket. They also have these numbers on each box respectively. 184573 & 185955. Thanks for the rotor scan but I couldn't possibly use it, the numbers are upside down and I'd have to turn my head to read them. Na, just kidding. Regards, Joe.
Howell

Post by Howell »

Hi everybody,Joe, is it upside down then? oh dear! Actually, if anyone would like to help regenerate industry in the valleys, these can be had from www.weekswork.co.uk, in Brynmenyn S. Wales for a very reasonable price in the colour of your choice! ( no commission I promise) Well. Joe and John, I have received the connector from Richard which has resolved my immediate issue, and also the pair plus terminals from VWP. As Richard has pointed out, these are smaller in diam at 2mm. The 3mm femail ones, and the connectors appear to be no longer available. RS do not recognise the numbers either John.These would work if a new mounting plate were made, however, I would have reservations about the current carrying capacity compared with the 3mm type. (Something called the "skin effect" where most of the current is carried on the outside surface of the conductor) The ignition switch supply is of course carried through one of these terminals. I think a more robust solution would be a good idea if a complete rewire is due, John. Regards,Howell