BSA thoughts?

rjg30091982

BSA thoughts?

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi guys, not rotary related but we are all classic owners if nothing else.I've been offered a BSA A65 thunderbolt, the single carb version of the lightning? At least from what I can read I presume as much.It's in good condition, starts runs, ticks over beautifully, noisy as hell through bonny silencers which is why I like it!Just wondered if anyone has thoughts on the bike? I have never owned a BSA so know little about them, I'm sure it's not the perfect bike and sure other models are better but what I want to know is how popular they are? Ie re sale issues?My commandos would sell in a week but on eBay most A65's seem to not move even when priced as low as £3k and as high as £7k.Is it a good buy and what should I pay for it?ThanksRuss
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
rjg30091982

Re: BSA thoughts?

Post by rjg30091982 »

if it makes any difference its a 1971 model.
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Its the best bike B.S.A. ever made providing it is pre oil in frame & has the Triumph twin leading shoe front brake. NOT the conical hubs. If its cheap, buy it & get rid of the Commando. Had 8 of those & never found one that was totally satisfactory. 3 grand would be a fair price for a very good Thunderbolt.Derek F.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi DerekIt's not oil in frame that I am aware of? Is there any way of telling by look?It doesn't have a twin leader either and it is a conical hub?Not sure why I'm straying from nortons! It's either this or another Commando Interpol I have seen but the Interpol is obviously more and needs lots of work where as the thunderbolt I can jump on and ride.R
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

rjg30091982 wrote:It's not oil in frame that I am aware of? Is there any way of telling by look?R
Oil-in-frame started with the '71 season bikes. Before that, it will have a separate oil tank on the off-side. The seat was criticised for being too high for the average rider and was lowered on later models.The forks will have un-polished cast aluminium sliders with exposed chrome tubes and a spindly front guard with wire stays.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

I think it is OIF then it's a 71 and the forks look as described, I didn't see the oil tank but I wasn't really paying attention.What to do!Cheers Richard
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Russ,I can't help on values, but if an OIF, it is in my opinion the illegitimate spawn of BSA and Triumph. Not that I'm biased, you understand smiley .Only the motor is recognisably BSA, the rest the result of combining BSA and Triumph engineering and have common cycle parts for both marques.Buy it and let's have a photo!
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I think the price says it all,(3K for a half tidy one)come to selling it on and I don't think punters will be beating a path to your door,but hey,what do I know exclaim J.B.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi Russ.I bought a brand new A65 Lightning in 1972, the handling was good so were the conical hub brakes despite the bad press they get. However the engine vibration was terrible, 3 petrol tanks, 2 front mudguards and 2 silencer replaced under warranty because of fractures. If i went over 3000rpm with the lights on it blew the headlight bulb, a shame as it was a good looking bike. I finally found out what was wrong with it, 2 big pistons going up and down together! Traded it in for a Trident which was sooo smooth by comparison. Spend your money on another Rotary thats what this club is about anyway. smiley Hope this helps.RegardsDave
Malc

Post by Malc »

Go on Russ, They are very underrated and 3K is about right for that model.I still have 3 of them, one I have had for 43 years and another for 23 years. Good ones last a long time. The oil in frame model can have a leak around the main frame/oil tank /rear engine mount area and many have had weld repairs that are ok.The front conical hub is good (but not brilliant) if set up well and has the correct linings. There were some shoes being sold with the wrong friction linings. The BBC news couriers used to use the Thunderbolts and clocked up some high mileages without problems.Mine would have got used a lot more but rotaries got in the way.Malc
gripper

Post by gripper »

I bought one of these about ten years ago in big bits. It looked good when I had finished with it, but, the brakes were poor, the vibration was dreadful and the single carb engine, whilst quick off the mark, was slower than molasses in January. If you want a bike to ride, avoid it IMHO.Dave
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

My mate bought a pre O.I.Frame Thunderbolt in 1971. `J` reg. Good deal as Slocombes were clearing out the previous years stock. Best bike he had, better than the Spitfire & Rocket three he subsequently had. Like all british bikes of that tragic period, a good one was o.k., A bad one was dreadfull.I bought a brand new roadster Commando in 1972, engine & power train was good, the rest was Italian made crap which fell apart or rusted away. Never bought a new vehicle since. This was my one & only time.Derek F.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi all,Thanks for the advice, I think I may let it pass and stick with what I know and get another Norton!Thanks anyway
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Good choice ...I was going to say nothing lol wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Well i bought a commuter in the end but not a BSA, got a Kawasaki er500. only 3000 miles from new and dull as dish water!my IP2 will wipe the floor with it and even my brothers TZR 250 2 stroke gets away from me!maybe should have bought that BSA.........
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I expect your IP2 will wipe the floor with most '80 bikes exept the big Jap stuff,and even then I don't expect you'd be to far behind,(especialy on the twisty bits cool)J.B.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

In the late 80`s on the A13 daily commute into London from Essex I was well known as the loony on a clapped out ex police bmw that smoked like a train but blew every one else into the weeds when it was opened up in the quarter mile drags between sets of traffic lights.I tried to keep quiet about what it was that was blowing off the GS 1000`s & 1100`s. even to the extent of considering putting B.M.W. stickers on the tank.Derek F.